1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Help me understand Apertures

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by bradNYC, Sep 11, 2008.

1. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    I have 17-55 2.8 and a 50 1.8, if I was to take the same picture using both pieces of glass @ 50 2.8, should I get the EXACT same image?

2. Absolutely not. The amount of light entering should be the same but each lens renders colors a little differently as well as sharpness. The 50 1.8 stopped down to 2.8 will probably be sharper if your a pixel peeper. The 17-55 tends to be soft wide open. This is just my two cents worth.

3. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    let's throw this into the mix 24-70 2.8...same scenario

4. loudtiger

loudtiger

Sep 6, 2007
    texas
    very similar image.

5. Depth of field should be identical.

In general, lenses are sharpest when stopped down at least 1 stop from widest aperture. So the 50 f1.8 will probably be sharper at f2.8 than virtually any other f2.8 lens wide open.

The 24-70 (which I do not have, unfortunately) does extremely well wide open when tested and at f2.8 has less CA and is as sharp as the 50 f1.8. Of course you are comparing a lens that is $1800 to one that is $100.

In practice I suspect you would have a very hard time telling one from the other.

6. there are also several threads talking about skin rendering differences between the 24-70 and the 28-70

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.