Help me understand...

why doesn't everyone have a D700???

I just got one last week and am absolutely amazed at what it can do! I have owned just about every Nikon and Canon DSLR at some point and am truly amazed at the IQ this thing puts out. I just wish I had figured it out two years ago when they first came out! Now if only my photography skills matched its ability!!!

Tracey

I know...I didn't mean to sound spoiled...I am just in love with this camera body!

i was in love with my D700. i put over 130,000 frames on it in ~2 years.

now i'm in love with my D3s.

it'll rack up the actuations even faster :biggrin:

I know the whole thing about glass, glass, glass, it never wears out, isn't as obsolete in 4 days, yada, yada, yada. However, if I were to do it all again, my first purchase would be a D700, even before a 50mm f1.8. Why? Simple; it makes EVERYTHING better.

In car speak, glass is like bolt-ons, yes, you can increase the performance of your STi/EVO with them. However, a good DSLR body is like a built motor; everything is allowed to perform better because of it.

In car speak, glass is like bolt-ons, yes, you can increase the performance of your STi/EVO with them. However, a good DSLR body is like a built motor; everything is allowed to perform better because of it.

You don't understand how much I love that comparison UL... haha, so awesome!

And damn you... must keep telling myslelf I don't need Fx, I don't need Fx, I don't need Fx, I don't need Fx, I don't need Fx....

I know the whole thing about glass, glass, glass, it never wears out, isn't as obsolete in 4 days, yada, yada, yada. However, if I were to do it all again, my first purchase would be a D700, even before a 50mm f1.8. Why? Simple; it makes EVERYTHING better.

well, i went from an F5 to a D70 to a D700 then to a D3s.

i held out on film, via a scsi coolscan ii, for a looooooong time compared to many. mind you, i had a mountain of film to get through.

i'm glad i waited so long to go digi and didn't jump too heavily into DX.

however, glass is the area i was able to get away with the D70 for so long. my f2.8/D series glass, bought with my F5, allowed me to do things with the D70 i simply couldn't have done with slower consumer glass.

i s'pose what i'm trying to say is, i'm more comfortable scrimping on the camera body than on glass.

barring any catastrophe, i expect to be using my current bodies for another five years, maybe a bit longer. i expect to be using my current glass until i retire.

you buy camera bodies. you invest in glass.

It's hard for me to explain that I agree, glass is glass, and can't be beat by a body. But again, if I had to go back to DX, I probably wouldn't even shoot, it makes that much difference in my style.

5647802878_0f39d88180_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

why doesn't everyone have a D700???

I just got one last week and am absolutely amazed at what it can do! I have owned just about every Nikon and Canon DSLR at some point and am truly amazed at the IQ this thing puts out. I just wish I had figured it out two years ago when they first came out! Now if only my photography skills matched its ability!!!

Tracey

I've said it before - after owning every "pro" film body made after the F2, this is the first box that actually improved my shooting ability! The D700 is a great body. I hope to keep mine long after I buy it's next iteration (I want an FX with 1080 video, too). Enjoy!

Hi guys! I have always believed glass first, and I still do...as long as you have a D700 :)I really didn't see much difference in bodies over the years except for sublteties in DR, color rendition, more accurate WB, cleaner at high ISO's etc, but this one really blows me away. I have only had it for a few days, but am having so much fun playing with it!

I had to buy new lenses, too, as I strayed to Canon briefly (long story). The first lens to get here was the cheapie but classic 28-105. I just can't believe how good the D700 makes it look! My 24-70 arrived a few days later, but I have not even mounted it yet :) My 70-200 got here today...I can't wait to go shoot with it!

Andrew, I studied a lot of your photos long and hard before I dove in. You do some awesome work!

My wife suggested I buy a new body (camera, not my ancient bod) after watching my D70s flail away trying to successfully shoot birds in flight. (And I wonder why I love her.)

I forced myself (?) to spend the bucks for the D700 and it was money well spent! The D700 is almost like shooting film again but better.

If you have the vision, the D700 is the tool to make it happen.
Enjoy.

some people may not need FX and more in need of DX - the benefit of 1.5 crop. Wildlife shooters like that since you get more range on lens. For instance take 600mm and put it on 1.5crop = 900mm equivalent on FX. On top of that put a TC and wu a la - there is no way you can get lens like that on FX LOL

FX and DX has its advantages and disadvantages.

I agree with you, euua. I have shot DX for the last several years as I have shot sports for some local colleges. That is why I had not even considered FX. I'm just so in love with my new toy that I could not help but comment. Thanks for bringing me back down to earth and pointing out the benefits of both.

Hi Tracey,

I know how you feel. I had the same exact thoughts you have when I got my D3s. It truly is a lifetime camera for me. I can't imagine why I would need anything else. It will a long time to understand everything on these Nikon bodies.

I agree. The D700 rocks.

I try to find reasons to use my D300s, but in the end I always grab the D700.

All right you guys! This thread is not helping me one little bit! I have been debating moving from DX to FX and had decided it was best to keep my D300 for now and wait to see what replaces the D700. Grrr....now I'm getting antsy.

Latest threads

Top Bottom