Help!!! My 300mm f4 AF-s lens let me down.

I got my 300 f4 AF-s lens out a couple days ago and put it on my D300. It auto focused a couple times and then just stopped focusing. I checked and cleaned the contacts on both the lens and camera. I have two other AF-s lenses and they both work perfectly. My next move was to take the lens to my friends house and try it on his D7000 body. Still no auto focus. The lens has never showed any previous symptoms such as squealing or hesitating

Of course I have checked the switches on the lens to be sure it was set properly and checked manual focus to be sure it was smooth with no catches. The lens looks nearly new and has never been dropped or subjected to water, sand, etc. It has been stored in a padded camera case in a cool and dry closet upstairs.

I suspect my SW motor has went south on me. I tried to fill out a service request for Nikon USA but they are unable to give even a worst case ballpark estimate without me sending it in. I don't even know if parts are available.

Has anyone had to have a silent wave motor replaced recently? If so, would you mind sharing the cost?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Tom

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
The lens is fairly new so I'm fairly confident repair parts are available - barring COVID related production or delivery problems.

I bought a 600mm/f4. It seemed to be fine, but I simply sensed it wasn't as sharp as it should be. I even drove 5 hours to a pro's home and we spent about 3 hours focus tuning it with and without 1.4 tele. I STILL felt something was off. 3 months before a trip to Africa, I finally sent it and my D5 in. Nikon's assessment......the SWM was bad....ON A BRAND NEW LENS!!!!! Thankfully they repaired it under warranty! When I got it back I simply packed it up (with NO focus tuning) and headed to Africa. Lens performed excellently.

You can also try APS for repairs. But I'm sure you would need to send it in for an estimate. They have done work for me in the past.

The lens is fairly new so I'm fairly confident repair parts are available - barring COVID related production or delivery problems.

I bought a 600mm/f4. It seemed to be fine, but I simply sensed it wasn't as sharp as it should be. I even drove 5 hours to a pro's home and we spent about 3 hours focus tuning it with and without 1.4 tele. I STILL felt something was off. 3 months before a trip to Africa, I finally sent it and my D5 in. Nikon's assessment......the SWM was bad....ON A BRAND NEW LENS!!!!! Thankfully they repaired it under warranty! When I got it back I simply packed it up (with NO focus tuning) and headed to Africa. Lens performed excellently.

You can also try APS for repairs. But I'm sure you would need to send it in for an estimate. They have done work for me in the past.
Thanks Karen. Happy to hear Nikon took care of your issue. Mine is way out of warranty. I may check with APS.

Thanks again.

Had the same problem with mine a bunch of years ago, out on a boat chasing eagles and the AFS motor just quit. Maybe made 2 squeaks just before it died. I'd have to look up what I paid but close to $450 and that was about 7 years ago. Got it fixed and haven't used it since. I'd go to APS or Midwest before Nikon. I've found a phone call to APS usually gets an estimate on the spot.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom