help... my D200 is half-dead...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by gugs, May 26, 2007.

1. gugs

gugs

Feb 24, 2006
    Belgium
    While I was shooting, I got the ERR message...
    After some tests I could conclude the following:
    if I shoot fully open (in any mode A, M, P, S) the picture is ok
    if any other aperture is selected I get the err message on the display and my pictures are totally underexposed (almost black), like the diaphragm stays closed...

This could have to do with the aperture mechanism in the camera because it gives the same result with the 3 G-lenses I have with me (12-24, 18-200VR and 10.5), only my 35f1.4AIS with the aperture ring gives me results at any aperture.

Anybody an idea because the behaviour is not logical:
    the metering is working properly (and displaying the right speed and supposed aperture)
    - if the diaphragm (from the camera pov) was blocked closed, I wouldn't get good pictures fully open (the camera wouldn't be able to open the diaphragm)
    - if the diaphragm was blocked open, I would have overexposed pictures instead of underexposed pictures.

Anyway, the camera will go to the service and this is a disaster, I have a shooting tomorrow when I'm back to Europe and I am leaving for the US in a month from now (don't know if I'll get the camera back on time - this will cost me another D200 or a D2Xs :confused::frown:)

Guy

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ohhhh that sounds awful
    Keep us posted

3. Is the aperture ring on the lens locked wide open?

4. gugs

gugs

Feb 24, 2006
    Belgium
    I am travelling and I only have 4 lenses with me. 3 lenses are G lenses 12-24, 18-200VR and 10.5mm (no aperture ring) and only work fully open, and my last lens is a 35f1.4 AIS working at all apertures (set with the aperture ring of course).

5. Sorry to hear about your trouble, Guy. I guess you've tried a reset (per the Hogan D200 Guide: turn the camera off, remove battery, turn the camera on to drain the internal battery at least partially, turn camera off, reinsert battery and then try the camera)? You might lose your custom settings, but probably worth that under the circumstances.

Since the same mechanism stops down both G and AI-S lens when the shutter button is pressed, I'd guess that's not the problem. Maybe something to do with communication between lens and camera? One other thing to try would be cleaning the contacts on both camera and lenses (a long shot, but worth trying).

I sure hope you can get things working.

6. gugs

gugs

Feb 24, 2006
    Belgium
    I have checked everything possible... and I contacted my dealer, the camera will go to the service...
    I changed the batteries (fresh EN-EL3e, fresh AA), tried a reset, cleaned the contacts, inspected the interior of the camera (what I could see) - nothing...
    I'll keep you informed.

And thanks a lot for the support.

Guy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.