Help. my D70 won't turn off!

What a way to start a holiday weekend! My D70's doing strange things. Sometimes I can't turn it off(or on) or click the shutter, then the shutter fires off a couple of seconds later. This morning, when I started out on my photo shoot, everything was overexposed even though everything looked okay through the viewfinder. Evenually I got a few shots off, but something is definetly wrong. My camera is acting very erratically. Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks,
Virginia
aka beaucamera :eek:

Virginia

Sorry to hear this :(, I have not seen / read this issue mentioned anywhere.

However, I suggest you send your camera in for repairs. Your D70 is one among the earliest D70s' that were manufactured. Looks like we all got a bunch of lemons.

Nikon usually replaces a FPC board in the camera free of charge that seems to fix these issues.

anand

beaucamera said:
What a way to start a holiday weekend! My D70's doing strange things. Sometimes I can't turn it off(or on) or click the shutter, then the shutter fires off a couple of seconds later. This morning, when I started out on my photo shoot, everything was overexposed even though everything looked okay through the viewfinder. Evenually I got a few shots off, but something is definetly wrong. My camera is acting very erratically. Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks,
Virginia
aka beaucamera :eek:

I seem to recall this happening once with my D100. I removed the battery when it wouldn't shut off. I waited a while then inserted the battery with the power switch off and did not encounter this phenomenon again.

I hope that's all it is.

Rich

J

JoWillie

My D50 did the same while tethered to a video screen. Wouldn't shut off.
Finally did after about 20 minutes. No problems since. The battery reboot seems to be the most common answer.

PGB

Before I sent it in I think I would try removing the battery as suggested earlier and then perform a full reset.

Hope this helps,

Update

Thanks, everybody for your timely responses. I was able to shoot some stuff evenually and I charged my battery last night. I could see some wear (two almost v shaped regions on the bottom of my battery). I cleaned them off as best I could, but those regions stayed. I took my 70-200 off, took the memory card out and reinserted the battery, then the lens, then the memory card (same one from yesterday..still has 65 shots left!). Everything seems to be okay today. I suspect this is an intermittent problem (or perhaps a problem with the on/off switch or the battery.) I've labelled this battery (have two) and memory card so I can track future activity.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your help! :smile:

Virginia
aka beaucamera

This was a good day. I got my camera back. :biggrin: The repair slip says they replaced the switch, meter circuit and calibrated and cleaned everything. They also updated the firmware. Don't know why because I already had the latest version. The total cost including shipping, insurance and tax was $264.49 ($18 worth of parts ). Hey, Flew, thought you might be interested in knowing the repair took 23 day. I sent my D70 in via the local camera store, Keeble and Shuchat. One of the advantages to doing it this way was I was able to authorize repairs over the phone instead of waiting for a hard copy estimate from Nikon to arrive via the US Post Office.

One Happy Camper!

Virginia
aka beaucamera

beaucamera said:
... thought you might be interested in knowing the repair took 23 day.

It's good to hear they took care of you at a reasonable price, and that it didn't take too long, Virginia! I just sent my d70 back, and hope I get similar treatment.

Frank, the waiting is agonizing. When you go through a camera store to get your camera repaired, they are the customer and the only way you can get information is from them. Tuesday they told me it would probably be another week because my camera was "still on the repair line" from what they could see on line.

The call from K & S today came out of the blue. I hope your camera comes back to you as quickly as mine did to me.

Virginia
aka beaucamera

beaucamera said:
The total cost including shipping, insurance and tax was $264.49 ($18 worth of parts ).

I think you have been ripped off. All you had to do was to send the camera in and call and talk to them about it. I bet they would have fixed it for free.

From what you describe, it seems like a slight variant of the GBLOD fix. This should have been fixed for free.

R

Removed User 2

Yes, it could've been for free. Next time go through Nikon directly.

Latest threads

Top Bottom