Help!! My Tokina 12-24...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by uscmatt99, Sep 22, 2008.

1. is jacked up on the first day of my honeymoon!

I was taking it off the camera, and I noticed that the zoom ring was stuck between 14-17mm. I jiggled it a little, and I could hear something shaking around in the lens. The zoom then freed up throughout the whole range. The zoom mechanism gets jammed up periodically until I gently shake it again. Then I can zoom almost normally, but not smoothly. The focussing is fine in AF and MF with the clutch engaged. The aperture blades seem to be moving normally. Oh, and this lens has never been dropped. This all happened at the airport, and it was with me as a carry-on the whole time.

My question is, can I continue to use the lens and occasionally shake the obstructing thing around in the lens without causing damage to the internal elements? I'd hate to be grinding the glass away with whatever is loose in the lens. But I don't want to miss out on anything since we're not coming back to Oahu anytime soon :)

By the way, I bought the lens used, and I'm pretty sure Tokina's USA warranty holds over multiple owners, but would love confirmation from anyone in the know. I'll send it in for service when I get back to Chicago.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008