1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Help needed on picture quality, or what am i missing?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Gazruss, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Hi folks..... Was wondering if some enlightened folks or folkettes could help me with a dilemma i seem to be having. Lately i have been looking at the wonderful photos on here, especially any taken with the D300. I see some amazing "punchy" sharp images here. I have been finding that none of mine seem to be as "sharp" first thought it was my rapidly failing eyesight, but got that checked out and i am not going blind.......so i tried a test tonight, put the D300 on my tripod, set it to shoot with self timer, on a cement floor into a styrene box i made a while ago. set the ISO to Lo1 or 200. and shot raw with the SB800 set to TTL & BL, Used my 60mm 2.8D and manual focus, then my 50 1.8 on AF for the test shots which i am to believe are some of the sharpest lenses around..... take a look at 2 100% crops, I know they will not win any prizes for originality, just what i had in my basement this evening........... What am i doing wrong ?????

60mm F 2.8D. f36 1/60sec 125 iso
    [​IMG]

50mm 1.8, f22, 1/60 sec, 200 iso

[​IMG]

2. Your aperture is too high. You'll get the best results probably between f/5.6 to f/11. Retry your rest with something like f/8 and see if the results please you.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
  3. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    check out the graph in this link for your 60mm f/2.8. you'll see that sharpness drastically drops at very small apertures, which is typical of all lenses. i don't know the precise physics of how it occurs, but sharpness is diminished at extremely small apertures because of light diffraction. as william suggested, try shooting at a wider aperture, and it should turn out much better if your lens is a good copy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.