Help Needed, Wedding Offer!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by underitall, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Hi, iv been advertising on ebay, as an amateur photographer for hire:
    £3.00 per hour, or £30 for a day, and providing images on a CD.
    I got an e-mail as follows, unedited:
    hi i wonder if you could help , we are getting married on the 23rd august , but my finace baz had a bad fall at work and broke his collar bone so there is no way we can now afford a profestional wedding photograther , we do live along way from you in oxford but if you think you might be able to help we would gladly pay for your travel costs , as well as double what you would normally charge for a whole day , we really are desperate , it would mean the world to us , if you think you may be able to help us plz plz mail back or give us a call on the mobile number below
    all the best
    tina and baz xxx
    IM based on Portland, Dorset, UK, theyre in Oxford, UK, quite a bit away, what d you think, baring in mind im REALLY amateur, and dont want to ruin their day by sending them bad (as in, out of focus, over/eunderexposed shots) memories?
    Thanks in advance, im really not sure if I could do this, Tom.

*EDIT* Thinking it through a bit more, im not sure ill have the confidence to complete it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2008
  2. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    If you admit it yourself that you won't be able to do a good job, and if you've never shot a wedding in any capacity before, what makes you think it's okay for you to accept this job, let alone charge for it? Spend the time honing your skills first. This will end up being more trouble than it's worth...

3. I did say that I WASNT going to in the edit, but thanks for the advice anyways.

4. I shot a wedding for a friend, for free a while back, because I was asked to. While the photos came out well, as I thought they would, It killed my love of photography for a while. I did not pick up a camera for a month. There are no do overs in weddings. If you get out of your comfort zone, it's not fun anymore. I will not do any more weddings, it's just not for me.
    Tim

5. Thanks for that Tim, and sorry about the month gap>
    Tom.

6. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    I'm not a pro but it seems your rate is insanely low for paid work. That said, it also sounds like you are not ready for paid work, at least in the wedding arena as primary or sole shooter. Have you approached professionals in your area about shooting as a second shooter or even permission to follow for the day even if you don't get to actually shoot. You'd at least get to observe the work flow and techniques. Good luck.

7. Lou_C

Lou_C

Jul 11, 2008
    England
    Tom

I've seen the work of some of these so called professionals and it leaves a lot to be desired......constantly using shallow dofs when its unwarranted, soft images that are not by design etc. So ruining a wedding day is not a problem for amateurs. Having said that, experience is a valuable tool.

Why not contact some local togs and ask if you can help as an unpaid assistant, just to get some experience of weddings under your belt. But be careful who you ask, some pro's are worse than useless, look at their sites and portfolios first to see if they fit your criteria for wedding photos.

Dont worry about the pricing, you can only price as you think fit. Others will try to put you off because it means they might lose out on work, or have to drop their prices, but you need to price where you're comfortable.

8. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    I had a friend that asked me to shoot his VERY NON FORMAL wedding. I told him NOT to expect professional quality images. He told me what he wanted done. He asked me how much money I wanted, and I told him I didn't want any money. I was planning on using his wedding as a learning experience. I told him to look at my work when I was done and if he liked it to throw me some money. He gave me $350 after I gave him the disk I guess he liked it. :biggrin:

9. Thanks guys.
    I may just have to give that a try Lou, assist someone else, tag along a bit.
    And Joe, well done, nice bit of doh there.