Help Needed with Printers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrtac2man, Dec 3, 2005.

1. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    just wanted to ask what kind of printer everyone would recomend in the 200 to 300 dollar range... just bought and hp3210 all in one.. and its going back Sunday morning... was getting better quality out of my free printer that came with my computer.. and ideas and comments would be greatly welcomed.. Thanks Tim

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I really like my Epson R1800...MSRP $550. I would recommend Epson but I have nothing bad to say about Canon or other brands. The Epson R800 (MSRP $399.) is highly regarded by many and uses archival inks. If you are steadfast about staying in the $200-$300 range...perhaps someone else can offer a specfic brand and model...but Frankie likes EPSON!!!:wink:

3. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    Thanks Frank.. epson is my next choice...

Tim

4. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

See if you can find a new 1270 or 1280.
    goes up to 13x19.
    Check atlex.com $359.
    Ask Backdoctor or Flew who have them.
    I know cause I gave them each one.
    I got the Epson 4800 and still have the Epson 2200.
    The 1270 and 1280 give a color gammat as good as the Epson 4800.

Birger

5. Like Birger, I just bought an Epson 4800 and still have the Epson 2200. I've seen used 2200's on eBay for around $300. I highly recommend staying with the archival inks. I have a friend who had major color shift problem with an Epson 1200 series printer. He had a client or two who saw major shifts within 3 months of printing. Probably caused by specific gases in their houses. I have a friend who has the R1800 and the prints look great. It's better suited for glossy. It depends on what you like. Good luck.

6. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    I assume you need it for photo prints, because otherwise my recommendations would be different. I have an Epson 2200 (2100 in Europe), and I'm very happy with the results. The limitation of the Epson 2200 is that it doesn't work well with glossy paper - only semi-gloss or matte. This hasn't bothered me a bit yet. The newer models (R800 and R1800) that have been recommended here are supposed to be better with glossy paper.

In any case, all Epson printers I mentioned use pigment inks, which are tested to last a long time before fading occurs, even significantly longer than regular photos. Moreover, if you ever get real serious about printing, you'll find plenty of RIP and other printing software that supports these printers (at least the larger ones) and various kinds of paper.

The only downside is that ink doesn't come cheap, but the results are much more rewarding than when printing outside (unless you have a good printer you can trust).

Regarding Canon, I better don't say a word:frown: .

7. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Epson

I am a devoted fan of Epson printers. As noted, the 1280 for dye inks and the 2200 for pigment inks are great. I understand the new R1800 is also superb but I don't own it.

8. Epson pigment ink printers are the choice if you are concerned about print life, the prints from pigment ink printers are suppose to last from (goin' by memeory) 25 to 150 years. If you are not concerned about print life beyond 5 or 6 years then a dye printer will do. If a dye printer will do then I would look at the Canon offerings, they spit out 8x10 prints with excellent color in less than a minute. You will probably have a better chance of finding a Canon printer in your stated price range too. If you are planning on making a lot of prints you will probably want to make sure you get a printer that has seperate ink tanks for each color, they are cheaper to operate in the long run. HP is said to have printers that make good quality prints but the price per print is also reported to be the highest with HP printers. There are more offerings but Epson or Canon are the two brands that I would be choosing from. I have been using an Epson 2200 for 3 years now and I don't have plans to upgrade anytime soon. Good luck.

9. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for your help... looked at many printers.. yes the epsons looked very nice.. but were a little high in price... Santa's budget is down this year.. lol.. got a Canon Pixma IP6000D.. so far it is very nice... 4x6's look like they came from a photo lab...going to try some 8x10's later,, will let you know what i come up with.. Thanks again..

Tim

10. I use the Epson R800 ($350 at amazon) and I'm very happy with it. For sizes over 8x10 I use mpix.com Ink is not cheap, but results are close to lab quality.

I'm taking a night class in Photoshop at a local college, our prints were suuposed to by done by a lab. It wasn't until mid-term that I told them I was printing at home. No one knew or noticed. The professor said to keep using it.
    Greg

11. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Enjoy your new printer, and share with us your opinions / findings. Maybe one day I may want to consider a Canon.