1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Help on Organizing Photo Galleries

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JustinD, Jul 28, 2009.

1. I'm trying to get all of my photos into several basic categories like; people, buildings and architecture, monochrome - that sort of thing. The problem is is that some of the photos could be placed in more than one category - how would you deal with that? Just put the photo into both categories (so there'd be two copies of the same photo in different locations) or...?

2. Justin, do you mean web galleries?? If so I think it's best to have them in just one. Keywords are great tools for this type of thing too but that depends on what you are doing and where you are posting.

3. Yes. Web galleries. I have the option of making various albums for the different categories that each photo might fit into - you're suggesting that all the photos be put into one gigantic album?

4. And to further explain what I'm doing - I'm basically picking the photos I think are good from my entire back catalog and then want to upload them to photo albums. Coming up with the names for those albums is proving to be a little tricky - it's hard to separate the photos into the categories I was hoping to have. For example - I've got one album called people and one album called monochrome. Then I have a black and white portrait. Which album should it go in?

5. IMO, all B&W shots should be placed in a seperate gallery. You might create sub-galleries for different types of B&W shots.

For instance, I created a "sports" gallery. Then I created sub-galleries for the different types of sports that I shoot.

6. Justin, I sure didn't mean one big gallery, sorry!!
    I would only place each image in one gallery, you have to choose the most appropriate.
    Bourbon's call of Galleries and sub-galleries is well worth thinking about.
    But most of all keep it simple works best, that is well researched.

7. I agree about keeping it simple. It's tempting to put one photo in more than one album it's hard to decide which one would be more appropriate for a black and white photo if I have a people album and also a monochrome album because they're both appropriate. But having copies of one photo in more than one album seems a bit over the top as well. Decisions decisions.

8. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Here's my take on it (Im currently rebuilding a new site as well) :

It all depends on what you want the photo to vehicule. If you want to put forth the B&W aspect put it in B&W, but if you think the Portrait (or whatever other category) is the most important then put it in this gallery. No doubles.

I'm not too fond of just a B&W gallery alone, even with sub-categories. Not to mention that too many sub-categories can be a step back in user interface. Don't think that the viewer will want to dig through 4 levels of pages to access your photos, the simpler the better :wink:

9. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Your gallery should allow you to put the same image in multiple sets (or whatever they're called). Flicrk can, and that is pretty much the bottom of the barrel when it comes to web galleries.

10. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I don't think Justin meant that he couldn't technically put the same photo in multiple galleries, which I'm sure he can. It's just that having the same photo in more than one gallery is redundant hence his dilema.

11. Precisely as Julian states. I think having duplicates isn't what I'm going to be going for.

As it stands now I think I'll go with the advice of putting the photo where I think it best fits - even if it'd best fit two categories. :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.