Help, Please - NX-D won't Convert Files

Please - I need your help!

Suddenly, after I process a RAW image using NX-D and go to convert it to a JPEG, the "Batch Process Status" on the menu bar is highlighted in yellow and my file is shown as "queued". But nothing more happens. It stays that way and never ever finishes. In effect, I stopped from saving the file as a JPEG.

I have used Capture for years and this has never happened to me before. I also never ever use Batch Processing so it has somehow been turned on.

I've tried uninstalling Capture NX-D and then reinstalling it, but it does the same thing time after time. And when I open up Capture freshly, it even tells me I have previously queued files and asks if I want to save them. If I say "yes" I am back to the beginning, everything is frozen and nothing happens. If I say "no", I re-edit the image, go to convert it JPEG and the batch processing light comes on and it gets queued again.

I have no clue how to stop this "batch processing" and I am not even sure what it is. I simply want to edit individual RAW images as required and as I have been doing for years. I have spent so many frustrating hours the last two days trying to sort this out. Please, someone, help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a Cancel Batch Process button at the right of the toolbar at the top of the window (I use a Mac so it may be different on PC). If not visible, goto Window-->Show Toolbar.
This is how it appears on my Mac:

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 12.08.43.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thank you, Palouse - but it is not "activated" so when I click on it nothing happens.

It shows up highlighted in yellow and a dialogue box shows me that my image is queued but the queued image never finishes.

Also, Palouse - looking at the image you posted in your reply above - mine is the exact opposite. The "batch process status" is active and the View NX-i is turned off. and I can't reverse it.

One thing to try that sometimes fixes this type of problem is to clear the "cache". Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't remove the cache folder, it still stays there and can be full.

Along the top line,
Click on Edit(E)
Click on Preferences
A box comes up, Click on Clear Cache
Then click OK

Thank you DugleyG - but when I click on Edit I can't find the "preference" option. All I see is this:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 5.03.17 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 5.03.17 PM.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 139
DudleyG - I found preferences on my imac and cleared the cache but unfortunately it didn't do anything to help. Hmmmm ....

DudleyG and Palouse - here is what the menu bar looks like - as you can see the Batch Process Status is active but the ViewNX-1 is not. And my image is queued but it never finishes.

Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 5.27.00 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That worked, Palouse, thank you.

But why does it freeze in the queue and not convert in NX-D?

This is a real pain. Thank you so much for your help, though, I truly appreciate your generous time and effort to help!

I tried at least a dozen different images and it happens with them all.

Everything is fine until I go to convert the edited/processed RAW to a JPEG and then it goes into the queue and never finishes. It just sits there.

So frustrating.

Try process another photo and see if it happens again

I sympathize with you. I used Nikon Capture NX and NX2 for years even though I had intermittent, really bizarre issues with them other people weren't experiencing. I even remember a guy here at the Cafe telling us that he and a friend installed the software on their two computers, which were exactly the same. They could get it to work only on one of them despite that both of them had been IT professionals for decades. Sometimes Nikon software simply doesn't work properly.

Once I finally stopped using Nikon software, the inexplicable post-processing problems went away.

Last edited:
I have NX-D and NX-i on my machine but haven't used them for post processing for a long time (probably ever—-ever since NX2 went away!). I do use Nikon Transfer; it's fast and slick.
The only time I "use" NX-D /NX-i, is to check how Nikon converts NEFs compared to what I manage on DXO-PL, and to see the effects of all the in-camera corrections etc., that Nikon offers.

Latest threads

Top Bottom