Help please - Photoshop CS and ACR

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Pa, Jul 16, 2005.

1. I find now when I open a RAW file in Photoshop CS from the file browser, I no longer get the Camera Raw interface. I get a simple preview box with only one adjustment available - a slider for exposure compensation.

I must have accidentally changed a setting somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Has anybody else had this problem ? How do I fix it?

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Did you recently install any Nikon software? The Nikon RAW converter has a nasty habit of inserting itself so that PS loads it by default. Make sure that it is removed, that you have the latest version of Camera Raw and that it is in the correct folder.

3. I just uninstalled NC4(free trial had expired) and that didn't help. Any other ideas?

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Check to see if you have any Nikon NEF type files in any of the Photoshop CS directories. If so, delete it.

Then check to see if you have Camera Raw.8BI in the /Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS2/File Formats directory.

5. Ron H

Ron H

Jul 5, 2005
    Phoenix
    Nikon software has a habit of overriding all other raw plugins.

If you have CS, go to this file: C/program files/adobe/photoshop cs/plug-ins/adobe photoshop only/file formats
    remove any Nikon NEF plugin.8bi
    install your ACR plugin

Hope this helps

6. It appears to me that all of the above are satisfied. Under Program files/Common Files there is a Nikon directory which has two subdirectories:p rofiles and Message Center. I don't think the files in those directories could cause the problem.

7. O.K. I did this, and now when I try to open a RAW file, I get an error message:

"Could not complete your request because this version of Photoshop does not supply the services required by this plugin module"

8. I downloaded the Camera RAW files from Adobe again.

Where should the file: "Adobe DNG Converter.exe" be placed?

9. O.K. got it fixed now. I had moved the Camera RAW.8i for CS2 into the proper directory rather than the correct version for for CS, the version I have.

Many thanks to jfrancis and Ron H for your diagnosis. Apparently it was the Nikon Capture software which was intruding on Photoshop.

10. marc

marc Guest

it is a small problem, the acr 3.1 needs to be int he correct directory

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's a stand alone application, you can put it anywhere, Program Files > Adobe would be a logical choice. It isn't neccessary for Photoshop or ACR. You can convert RAW files to Adobe's Digital Negative format with it.

12. Thanks. I had figured that out when I ran it once just to see what it did.

13. Same thing happened to me, Pa. Some kind soul online steered me to the solution. Technology vs. technology!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.