Help please!

I hope someone can help me...I formatted my SanDisk Ultra CF card yesterday and went for my shoot. When I tried to transfer them to my computer this morning they aren't there! The only pictures there are the ones that should have been deleted when I formatted it! I thought I'd try a recovery tool, looks like there are a lot of free ones to choose from, but I'm afraid of downloading something that's not legit and might harm my computer. Any suggestions of which program to use would be greatly appreciated! I wonder what happened? I'm assuming I should pitch the card once I see if I can recover the image. TIA

Last edited:
Brenda, sorry to hear of this! I've used Sandisk RescuePRO in the past with success. This software used to come bundled with higher end Sandisk CF cards but now seems to be sold as a stand alone purchase.

Seems odd that your old photos are visible after your format in camera and no new files were written. I wonder if the card was not seated properly or if your camera could be the problem.

Good luck.

I doubt the new ones are there and since you can still see the old ones I don’t think the format worked,

There’s a menu setting that tells the camera not to fire if there’s no card......I can’t recall the option name....but it may have stopped you

Brenda, sorry to hear of this! I've used Sandisk RescuePRO in the past with success. This software used to come bundled with higher end Sandisk CF cards but now seems to be sold as a stand alone purchase.

Seems odd that your old photos are visible after your format in camera and no new files were written. I wonder if the card was not seated properly or if your camera could be the problem.

Good luck.
I just used a different card, reformatted it and took a few pics. I put that card in my computer and I can see the new pictures and not the old. Do you know of any free programs? It was only 14 cheerleaders, I can reschedule another shoot, it's not really worth paying for a program at this point.

Does your camera have 2 cards? I once didn't get the primary card seated and thought all was lost. To my pleasure the camera wrote to the other card instead. Did you check the 2nd card?
I will check that! I doubt that happened because I don't ever recall putting another card it but who knows...Thank you!

I doubt the new ones are there and since you can still see the old ones I don’t think the format worked,

There’s a menu setting that tells the camera not to fire if there’s no card......I can’t recall the option name....but it may have stopped you
The camera was firing, the pictures were there during the shoot! Even if the format didn't work I would think the new pictures would be there....idk

Many of the recovery programs will let you try the software before purchase. You will be able to see if any images were recovered. Then you can decide if you want to spend the money to recover the files.
Maybe I'll try that. Is there one you recommend? There were free programs but I'm afraid to download anything unless it's recommended to me.

The camera was firing, the pictures were there during the shoot! Even if the format didn't work I would think the new pictures would be there....idk
I suspect you my not have had the card seated properly. The D700 will still take photos in "Demo Mode" without a card in the slot. You can still review a few of these and it can appear that the camera is working normally. You likely do not have any files on that card to recover.

If you want to try one of the programs, I would use RescuePro since they were affiliated with Sandisk.

I suspect you my not have had the card seated properly. The D700 will still take photos in "Demo Mode" without a card in the slot. You can still review a few of these and it can appear that the camera is working normally. You likely do not have any files on that card to recover.

If you want to try one of the programs, I would use RescuePro since they were affiliated with Sandisk.
What do you mean when you say "seated properly?" You mean it wasn't in the camera properly? When I put the card in the computer I had a weird message on my computer and couldn't find my external drive. I then restarted the computer. The drive was there but then there was a message about the card, said something about the missing files, it could try to recover them and it did something and then said they are in the "found" folder. I didn't see a "found" folder after searching the computer. It's just weird. Oh well, I'll try what you suggested. I'll let you know! Thank you

I hope someone can help me...I formatted my SanDisk Ultra CF card yesterday and went for my shoot. When I tried to transfer them to my computer this morning they aren't there! The only pictures there are the ones that should have been deleted when I formatted it! I thought I'd try a recovery tool, looks like there are a lot of free ones to choose from, but I'm afraid of downloading something that's not legit and might harm my computer. Any suggestions of which program to use would be greatly appreciated! I wonder what happened? I'm assuming I should pitch the card once I see if I can recover the image. TIA
I've had something like this happen to me before with one of my Olympus cameras. In my case, it was because I didn't set the date and time on the camera and that messed the saving sequence on the card. I had someone with an old DOS forensic recovery software recover most of the files for me. He told me that the first thing you do with a new camera is set the date and time or this will always occur.

It would be interesting to return the card to the camera to determine whether it displays the last set of photos. If not, I suspect the photos were never saved to the card and that the "demo mode" Mitch mentioned was being used when you viewed them during the shoot.
Yes, I did that. You can't see them in the camera. I will say when I put it in the camera, for a brief second I thought I saw an image from yesterday but then gone!

I've had something like this happen to me before with one of my Olympus cameras. In my case, it was because I didn't set the date and time on the camera and that messed the saving sequence on the card. I had someone with an old DOS forensic recovery software recover most of the files for me. He told me that the first thing you do with a new camera is set the date and time or this will always occur.
I'll check the date and time. I took a few test photos this morning with a different card, put them in the computer slot and they were there....

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom