Help please!

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Have you put the card in a card reader and manually navigated the folders on it? You could also do a search of it from Explorer / Finder for all *.NEF files to see what that finds. I’m wondering if the files got written in a folder on the card that the import process isn’t searching.

Coming into this late, but agree with both posts right above mine: first of all, and most importantly, did you attempt to format the card in the COMPUTER or in the CAMERA? Uh....If the former, there's your problem right there. NEVER, never, ever format the SD card in the computer -- always do it only in the camera. If you have a couple of different cameras, always format the memory card in each camera prior to using.

Secondly, yes, when putting image files into a computer it is best to always use a card reader rather than plugging the camera directly into the computer and trying to offload files that way.

My process is: I shoot with a card that is formatted for the camera I'm using, then come home or to my laptop if I'm traveling, plug in a card reader and then insert the card from the freshly shot event into that and download into the computer. I then make sure the folder and files are intact in the computer before then ejecting the card reader. I do NOT delete the images that are still on the card. I make sure that what's in the computer now ready to be edited is what I've just shot and that all the image files are there. If I'm traveling and have another freshly formatted memory card or two ready to go I'll use one of those for the next shooting session and leave what I've already shot still on the SD card they're on. Good safeguard against losing anything, whether it be due to a computer glitch or to losing the actual physical SD card (which can happen!). When at home, I'll make sure everything's in the computer safe and sound and only then will stick the SD card back into the computer and format it there. I NEVER, EVER, format any SD card in the computer. That's just asking for trouble, as you have already discovered. Unfortunately for you this latest incident may be too late to recover images, but at least now you will know for the future what to do and what not to do. I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way.....

Real Name
Walter Rowe
My experience is that if two different camera models have the same sensor, formatting the card in either camera will work not only for that camera but also the other camera.
I agree. If I have two Nikon cameras, the cards are interchangeable with no issues. If I am moving between Nikon and Canon, for example, I trust that less and reformat. That said, I generally reformat each card when it goes into the camera as a matter of practice.

I have three Sonys and a Nikon, and with the Sonys they are different models, so I maintain the habit of reformatting when swapping cards in-and-out on a trip where I have two of them with me (RX10 and RX100, for instance). Obviously I also reformat when using the same cards in the Nikon! The basic point here, though, is not to ever reformat in the computer.

Coming into this late, but agree with both posts right above mine: first of all, and most importantly, did you attempt to format the card in the COMPUTER or in the CAMERA? Uh....If the former, there's your problem right there. NEVER, never, ever format the SD card in the computer -- always do it only in the camera. If you have a couple of different cameras, always format the memory card in each camera prior to using.

Secondly, yes, when putting image files into a computer it is best to always use a card reader rather than plugging the camera directly into the computer and trying to offload files that way.

My process is: I shoot with a card that is formatted for the camera I'm using, then come home or to my laptop if I'm traveling, plug in a card reader and then insert the card from the freshly shot event into that and download into the computer. I then make sure the folder and files are intact in the computer before then ejecting the card reader. I do NOT delete the images that are still on the card. I make sure that what's in the computer now ready to be edited is what I've just shot and that all the image files are there. If I'm traveling and have another freshly formatted memory card or two ready to go I'll use one of those for the next shooting session and leave what I've already shot still on the SD card they're on. Good safeguard against losing anything, whether it be due to a computer glitch or to losing the actual physical SD card (which can happen!). When at home, I'll make sure everything's in the computer safe and sound and only then will stick the SD card back into the computer and format it there. I NEVER, EVER, format any SD card in the computer. That's just asking for trouble, as you have already discovered. Unfortunately for you this latest incident may be too late to recover images, but at least now you will know for the future what to do and what not to do. I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way.....
I did format it in camera, I never do it in computer (not sure how in the computer). I have always put the card into the slot on the computer but now I'm going to get a card reader and follow your flow.....thanks for your response

I have always put the card into the slot on the computer but now I'm going to get a card reader and follow your flow

If your computer already has a card slot, you don't need an external card reader. Connie only mentioned the card reader because she uses it with her laptop while traveling, probably because her laptop doesn't have a built-in card slot. At least that's how I understood her explanation.

Actually, Mike is right in that I don't have an SD card slot in my current laptops but.....even when I did have an SD card slot in my earlier machines I never used it. I have always preferred a card reader, so never even gave that SD card slot a thought! In the earlier days back when I was using CF cards, we had to have a card reader for those, and then later when shifting to SD, for a while I was using both CF cards and SD cards so it was more convenient to just get a card reader which worked with both sizes. Old habits die hard and I just continue to use an SD card reader..... The one I have now works nicely with both my MacBook Pro and my traveling laptop, the 12" MacBook, since it has a USB-C connector. Apple stopped putting the card slot in its laptops some time ago; not sure if they still have them in their iMacs or not, and I don't have a clue about Windows machines!

My main concern in my earlier response was that you were formatting the card in the computer rather than in the camera.

I've had great success with Recuva. It's free and does NEF's. Takes a while, though, with the larger cards. I'd wager that you won't find your latest shots. I had a problem like that many years ago, could see them on the camera's monitor but they did not appear to be on the card. I would toss the card once you are sure you can't recover.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom