help! Question about dust in lens....

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by rnyc1, Apr 11, 2007.

1. rnyc1

rnyc1

Mar 27, 2006
    New York
    I recently purchased a 20-35 2.8 on eBay. I'm normally weary of buying camera equipment on eBay but the seller had a nice track record....The lens was decribed as follows:

"This particular lens is in exceptionally clean condition, with few signs of use. If you look carefully you might find one or two very small marks. The optical and mechanical condition of the lens is equally good, with clear glass and oil free and snappy aperture blades, The lens bayonet shows no wear, and the case is as new. The lens hood is in EXC+ condition, showing a bit more wear than the lens itself"

The lens arrived and upon initial examination, it was as described - exceptionally clean. However after I snapped a quick pic, I noticed something appearing in the pictures. Notice the spot above the tress on the left hand side of the pic...

I took a look at lens more closely and there appears to be dust in the lens.

dust_example.

I just contacted the seller and am awaiting his response. My question at this point is....

1) How expensive would it be to have the Nikon service center at Melville.
    2) Are there alternatives to the Nikon Service center than can clean the lens?

Robert

2. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    That's pretty hefty. Are you sure it's not your sensor? f6.3 is pretty wide for sensor dust to show up, but I would think that if that's inside the lens it would have to stand out like a sore thumb.

3. rnyc1

rnyc1

Mar 27, 2006
    New York
    I'm fairly certain that it not the sensor....I just snapped some pics with my other lenses yesterday and nothing showed up......

I'll do some more testing tonight.

4. Brian-S

Brian-S

Feb 10, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    or how about on the front element that you can blow off? internal dust has to be huge to show up like that...

Brian

5. I agree with Brian, for a spot like that to show on your shot that speck has to be huge! Do you see that same spot with any other lens? If you do you need a sensor cleaning!

Anthony

6. first guess would be sensor dust so it's worth checking with another lens at same aperture..

other thing to look at is the back element of the lens and check there's nothing there can be easily cleaned off

Sil