Help Removing Wires....

I have a photo that I am going to give to my brother-in-law for Christmas, but I am having some issues "cleaning" it up. There are 4 wires, 3 which run almost the entirety of the photo, that I am trying to remove. Even though I have photoshop cs 5, I don't have the skills to remove the wires, and have it look good. I've spent quite a bit of time trying several different techniques found on youtube, but without success. I would appreciate some help figuring this out.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I work in Photoshop CC so am not sure what tools CS5 has, but I assume you have the healing brush. When removing wires like this I use that brush. Two things that help are

enlarge the photo to just at or below the pixel level. When I grabbed this photo-- that was 600% enlarged. This lets you work with the healing brush more accurately since you are not trying to see such a small dot.

Then work in small increments across. pay special attention to where the base photo has significant value changes.
Vary the size of the brush and the increment you work on as needed. So the trees might be able to use a longer increment and a larger brush while the building might need a very small increment and a smaller brush.

As you use the healing brush, don't just draw a line over the offending wires, click spots, moving slightly up and down as well as left and right. In the enlarged view you will be able to see when things look good. Keep going over areas that aren't satisfactory. The healing brush makes approximations of the area around it, so apply the law of successive approximations until it seems good. This can really be done fairly quickly.

You have a few sensor spots on the right that you can take out the same way.

Good luck!

Hey, leave my dust bunnies out of this :shame:! I noticed them as I was working on the picture earlier. At first I thought one of them was a spot on my monitor...until I moved the picture and the spot moved too:banghead:! I was removing them as I was trying to take the wires out, but after restarting a dozen times, I decided to leave them be until I figured out how to remove the wires.

Last edited:
Wires are seldom completely straight and this method lets the healing brush follow them precisiely.

Use the Pen tool to draw a Path which follows the wire precisely.

Make sure that the Spot Healing Brush and brush-size are correctly set then, in the Paths Panel's pop-out menu:
select the Path and choose to Stroke Path with Spot Healing Brush.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I would use two methods. Clone tool, which you have. Content aware fill, which you don't have, which can save time.
There is a technique to using the clone tool when going through the foliage. You needs to jiggle it around a bit to avoid any visible duplication pattern becoming visible. Hard to explain in words.

Wires against sky can be harder, as a sky can contain both lightness and colour gradients both vertically and horizontally. I developed a technique using the clone tool where you clone along the wire from above first, which leaves a visible jump, and then clone again along the wire, from below, with an opacity of 50%. So half the replacement is from above and half from below. You don't have any wires against sky, but you may have in future.

Wires are seldom completely straight and this method lets the healing brush follow them precisiely.

Use the Pen tool to draw a Path which follows the wire precisely.

Make sure that the Spot Healing Brush and brush-size are correctly set then, in the Paths Panel's pop-out menu:
select the Path and choose to Stroke Path with Spot Healing Brush.
This is what I spent most of my time trying to do yesterday (tutorials via youtube). Every single time I did it, the picture came out looking smudged along the path.

That is one reason I dislike photoshop. I would like to learn how to take advantage of it, but rarely can I emulate what I see done in tutorials.

If you don't have the healing brush, the clone tool used on the same massively enlarged image can work with care.
I would use two methods. Clone tool, which you have. Content aware fill, which you don't have, which can save time.
There is a technique to using the clone tool when going through the foliage. You needs to jiggle it around a bit to avoid any visible duplication pattern becoming visible. Hard to explain in words.

Wires against sky can be harder, as a sky can contain both lightness and colour gradients both vertically and horizontally. I developed a technique using the clone tool where you clone along the wire from above first, which leaves a visible jump, and then clone again along the wire, from below, with an opacity of 50%. So half the replacement is from above and half from below. You don't have any wires against sky, but you may have in future.
It sounds like you both are advocating the same technique. I will play around with it, and report back.

If you are removing wires which pass through foliage, you will do better if you work on small stretches at a time and choose the point from which you are cloning with care.
The Clone tool can also be used to Stroke a Path (as can many other Brush tools as well) and the trick of applying it in several passes at less than 100% opacity will also help considerably.

I have a photo that I am going to give to my brother-in-law for Christmas, but I am having some issues "cleaning" it up. There are 4 wires, 3 which run almost the entirety of the photo, that I am trying to remove. Even though I have photoshop cs 5, I don't have the skills to remove the wires, and have it look good. I've spent quite a bit of time trying several different techniques found on youtube, but without success. I would appreciate some help figuring this out.
View attachment 1597967
That is a beautiful church. Which one? Thank you.

Quick Play

Ray
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom