Help - Small Lightweight Telephoto

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Ken-L, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I have the Nikon 28-200G and it is a small light lens.
    I would like to find a small light longer telephoto lens like that.
    A zoom of 200-400 would be great but it has to be small/light.
    I'm willing to trade off some quality for size......

Any recommendations?

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    How about the 80-400? It's real popular, I even have some interest myself, but I hate zooms. Seems it'd mesh pretty well with your 24-120vr (which is, like, my favorite zoom - evar.) Overlap is better than holes, cause then you will need to change lenses less often.

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I am seriously considering the Nikon 80-400VR. I have seen some pretty good prices for it too (less than $1300 delivered). I'm going to look at it at a local store to see if it is light enough for me when on my camera. If it is light enough, I would only have to mug a couple of tourists for the $$ to pay for it.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ken if I can use it so can u...

check the FM forum and Nikonians and get it used.

I want mine back..lol

I think I will get another one.

5. Ken

I had a 80-400mm VR and sold it. I regretted that sale almost immediately.

Although it doesn't have the fastest focusing it was a perfect lens for shooting from a car at St Marks NWR and to have on a second body while toting a 600mm on a tripod.

After I purchase my D2X I will be in the market to get another 80-400mm even though I have a 200-400mm VR.

Russ

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    300 AFS

Superb lens and lighter than the 80-400 if memory serves me correctly.

Sharp as a tack and it focuses to 4'!

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I had an 80-400mm VR and it was a very nice lens. It is smaller and lighter than my 70-200mm f/2.8 VR. I sold the lens to a co-worker, which was in pristine condition, for $1200 in February.

8. Small, light, long, economical, fast, sharp, .........

Dang all the compromises!

How about 180.2.8 + 1.7 TC ?

It's on my short list.

Small, light, long, fast, sharp,,,,not exactly economical.

I love the 70-200 but dang it's heavy.
    The 80-400 is most's choice for your question.
    I'm trying to think of alternatives for you.

180 and tc would give you a very sharp, fast, easy to handle 460mm equivalent.

9. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    I dont think the 180/2.8 works with the TC 1.7. Please correct me if I am wrong.

10. Hmmmmm...It's not listed as compatible on Nikon's site list.
    Anybody know a reason it wouldn't work??

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
  12. the 180mm f/2.8... which TC does work on it? one of my next purchases if I don't get this 80-400 (which I probably can't afford this year).

13. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Fairly certain the Nikon lens only work with AF-S and AIS? lens. As far as I know, there are not any AF TCs from Nikon.

As an alterantive, you can go with the Kenkos TCs or Tamron TCs which gives you AF and metering. I heard though that AF is "slightly" slower and optical quality is "slightly" less compared to the Nikon TC.

You could get the Nikon TCs to work if you hack/modify them. Or if you are okay with manual focus, I believe you can mount manual focus lens with the older manual focus TCs?

14. Of course there are TCs that work with autofocus lenses.. you just have to know which models work with which lenses.

15. Russ,

Sorry you regretted the sale. I am loving the lens none-the-less :twisted:

Ken,

I find that the lens is a very good weight. I was surprised at how light it was the first time I used it. When I purchased mine from Russ I sold two other lenses that it replaced. I have been extremely happy with it.

Scott

16. Scott

Glad to see you are enjoying the lens. Your purchased helped me acquire the 200-400mm VR.

Russ

17. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Well that's the rub isn't it? The issue is more than just mounting, it is also getting AutoFocus.

Nikon's TC14E, 17E, 20E will not work on AF lens, only AF-I and AF-S. By the classic 80-200mm f/2.8 AF and be saddened that you can't even use a TC14E on it. You'd have to buy the used AF-S version or the more expensive VR version or go 3rd party. Where is the Nikon-brand TC for this AF lens? There isn't as far as I know. (Let me know if you do find one though).

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/tc14e.htm

If you get a Nikon Manual Focus TC, well that might mount on the AF lens, but you lose AF. That might be a good compromise but I consider "working" as in getting AF on a AF lens without needing a special AF-I or AF-S class lens.

That said, many 3rd party vendors have filled this gap and appear to support AF on normal AF lens, not just the high end AF-S, AF-I lens. It seems Kenkos is one of the leaders in this regard.

18. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Maybe I'm confused, but aren't AF-I lenses just the regular AF lenses that focus with the screw drive?

I thought the 'I' meant the lenses automatically stopped down to the correct aperture upon exposure, then returned to full aperture for viewing.

19. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    This post just makes me even sadder that I sold my 80-400 VR VR VR :<(((((((

kick kick kick kick

20. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikortek.htm#afi

It seems AF-I is like AF-S in the sense that the motors are built into the lens instead of driven by the screw-drive.

In short, as of today, there are no official Nikon TCs for AF lens. Wah! :(