Help! Spot in viewfinder and not in picture-How Fix?? D2X

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by GeeJay, Jul 8, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Today when taking pictures with my D2X I noticed a black spot when looking through the viewfinder...So I took off the lens and examined it carefully..nothing...then put on alnother lens and still the spot in veiwfinder.... but no spot in any pictures...

I have no idea what this could be and how to fix it.. Anyone out there have any idea what this is and how I can fix it? It's not the sensor because it's not in the pictures.

I also took off the view eyecup and cleaned that but didn't make any difference..

Thanks for any help you can give me,
    Gaye

2. I have noticed bits of dust and hair in the viewfinder before. Generally I just use the rocket blower, aimed in the general direction of the VF from the lens opening and I have been able to dislodge all of them.

Note that the focusing screen is readily removable. Your camera came with an alternate screen and a tool for releasing the bracket that holds the screen in place. You could probably clear up the spot by pulling the screen, blowing it and that area in the camera off, then replacing it.

Not something I would do unless you are up to it. Lots of things in there to scratch, break, etc.

3. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Beezle,
    Thanks for the help..I ended up taking the lens off and blowing inside up in the focusing screen with my rocket blower...and the spot disappeared.
    (also thanks to TOSH)

So now I know about that. I didn't change the focusing screen..just blew up into it from the lens opening..I saw many little pieces of dust there and now wonder where they went.. guess some will show up on my sensor before long.......

Thanks again and best to you,

Gaye

4. Gaye,

Same thing happened to me. I can heartily endorse the Sensor Brush http://www.visibledust.com/index.html for such tasks.

Personally, the the though of just moving gunk from one place to another doesn't seem like a good idea. The Brush will remove it never to be delt with again.

Woody

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Woody,

Thanks a million for the suggestion. I'm checking it out right now. Looks good,

Gaye

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Woody,

How did you know which size brushes to get?..they have so many sizes of them..I have a D2X...

Thanks,

Gaye

7. Gaye,

Me too and I got the 1.6X. They've cleverly hidden that info in the "click here for more info" link.

Unlike a swab there is quite a bit of "play" in the brush... use it one time and you'll be an expert. Totally non-intimidating.

Woody

8. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Woody,

Thanks!!!

Best to you and certainly appreciate your help,

Gaye

9. Good luck with your property in Florida. I guess by now the worse is past for you guys. Being on that north east quadrant of the storm can get pretty dicey.

I'm in NC and even the pitiful scraggly Cindy was producing severe thunderstorms and tornadoes around here. Now we're goingto go through it again with Dennis.

I lived in Miami during, but not much longer after Andrew... People have no idea.

Anyway, good luck with the brush... some things in life can be quite simple and it happens to be one of them.

Over and out
    Woody

10. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
  11. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Woody,
    Last summer we got hit with Hurricane Charley and it was terrible. The people there are awfully scared now about any kind of storm threat.Dennis went 150 miles west of us in the gulf but I feel for the poor souls up in the panhandle area. They say it's going to be a tough ten years of storms every summer :cry:

THanks again for your help on the cleaning kit,

Gaye

Hi Carroll,
    Nice of you to post the information on the Copperhill cleaning kit. I"ll go to that site right now and check it..I'm sure both would work fine. I just have get the courage to use either on my sensor and camera interior. Woody gives me hope with his encouragement :lol:
    Best to you and thanks,

Gaye