HELP! - Stuck DVD

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by mdnativ, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Hello all,

How can I manually eject a DVD that is not recognized by iDVD? I have a 20" iMAC. It's a movie DVD that I've played several times before.

Thanks.

2. Try disc utilities, select the drive and eject from the eject button from the utilities window.

3. I tried that and it did not work. I powered down the machine for a min, restarted and iDVD recognized the drive and DVD.

4. deanr

deanr Guest

Reboot your Mac while holding the mouse button down. The disk should eject.

5. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    You can also try holding down the eject key on your keyboard. After about 5 seconds, the disc should eject.

6. If all else fails, usually there is a small hole on the DVD player and you can insert a paper clip or other small straight object and manually force open the tray to get the disk out.

7. Wow! :redface: My next door neighbor is a Apple enthusiast. When I bought my iMAC last year, he told me to think of the easiest way to do things and it will probably be that way. I did not even realize there was an eject button on the keyboard.

I will blame that on Microsoft PCs. :biggrin:

8. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    yes, a small paper clip usually works to get into that little hole and press harder than you think you need to and it will pop open

9. The DVD drive on an iMac is not a tray; it's a slot on the side of the machine and there is no pinhole. The other remedies suggested by Mac users are the way to resolve this situation.

10. What no pinhole! Holy cow! What were they thinking??? LOL.

Connie, thanks for pointing that out.

I guess OP got it out via one of the above mentioned approaches ??

11. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    i would hope so, sorry im not a mac user and didnt know that they dont offer the easy solutions to the problem

12. I think the OP did resolve his issue. Because many Macs have a slot-loading drive rather than a tray-loading drive, Apple has provided remedies....

For those who are not Mac users: the iMac has a slot-loading DVD drive and so do the MacBook, MacBook Pro and Mac Mini. The Mac Pro (tower) has a tray-loading drive so procedures for that machine would be somewhat different. (I haven't really looked to see if my Mac Pro has holes near the two DVD tray openings, but I'll bet it does.) I know from personal experience in the past with a balky PC DVD drive that the pinhole/paperclip trick does work very nicely!