1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Help understanding D300 AWB

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by keko, Jul 5, 2008.

1. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    I've been shooting my D50, D300 and Canon 400D next to each other testing my telezooms at 10am in the mediterranean sun, all set to AWB...

It seems my D300 has been shooting consistently 500K lower than the Canon and 700k lower than the D50.

Since I have a hard time eyeballing WB, can someone tel me what the approximate value would be for 10 am blue sky sun this time of the year... My D300's values were around 4300k.

On my uncalibrated screen the results of the D50 and Canon look more pleasing. A value of 4800-5000K seems to look best to me.

Is there a simple test I could do to discard a problem with my D300's AWB feature?

Thanks in advance.

2. You might want to check pg 134 in the D300 manual to make sure you have not accidently changed the WB fine tuning (it's easy to do accidently).
    You should be able to include a calibrated gray card like a WhiBal in a RAW shot and use to set custom WB in Photoshop or Elements ACR and compare that against the results obtained with Auto WB. You can fine tune any difference if need be.
    I found my D300 Auto WB to be much more accurate than my D70S Auto WB on my calibrated monitor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.