Help w/Feison CT-3401 tripod

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by bfullmer, Apr 21, 2007.

1. I have a Feison CT-3401 tripod that I like except for the leg locks. When I tighten them, it's very difficult to loosen them to collapse the tripod because I can't get a good grip. I'm thinking there must be something I could get to put over the twist locks that would give a better grip.

I've seen the Gitzo locks and they have a rubberized grip that looks like it would make adjustments easier. I'd like to find something like those. (I know, I know, should have bought the Gitzo, but it was out of reach... and yes, I've read Thom's article.)

Any ideas what I could use?

Thanks,

2. Artorius

Artorius

May 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    Either grab the smaller end or the fatter end, unscrew the plastic grip and go to the next grip.
    I can collapse my 3401 in about 15 seconds. I start with the thicker and work down to the thinner.
    You have to get a system for folding/raising that works for you. Remember, practice makes perfect.

3. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    I had the same problem with my Feisol. I took the locks apart, cleaned them and put some grease on the thread. It seems to work like a charm after that. Just make sure that you dont use too much grease on the threads.

4. Thanks for the replies. Art, I understand about working from the larger sections down, but the locks are so hard to loosen after they've been tightened enough to keep the sections from slipping. I'll keep practising though.

Jay, that's a good suggestion. How did you take them apart and what kind of grear did you use?

5. Brian,

I had a Feisol (their biggest 3-section CF) tripod. Very nice tripod and a very good value.

The trick for me was not to tighten the locks so much. I would lock them down just enough to ensure no slippage. That way, it was a lot easier to either set-up or take down. If you find that "sweet spot" of pressure, you should just be able to lock/unlock each section with a half-twist.

These Feisols are very nice tripods. Hard to understand why they're not more popular. I only changed over to Gitzos because of the anti-rotation legs.

6. MJAM

MJAM

Feb 20, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Brian, I have the same pod and the same complaint. Working big to small and making sure not to overtighten help the problem, but I still have difficulty now and then. No answers for you, just empathy. Good luck, Mike

7. jemaerca, thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep trying to hit that sweet spot. Maybe someday....

Mike, I appreciate the empathy. It's nice to know I'm not the only one fighting this one. There must be some kind of wide rubber band that would allow a better grip on the twist locks. I'll keep searching.

8. Hi Brian,

I have the Feisol 3371 & I keep finding that I tighten them too much as well. I'm considering carrying one of those Craftsman jar openers with the rubber band for when I accidentally get them too tight.

Just a thought with might help...

Lil

9. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    You can keep rotating the locks until they pop off the threads. Youjust need to be careful to make sure that you don't loose some of the parts that go between the two leg sections. They look like O rings and one of them will be actually split into two. That was how they were designed. I remember a thread on dpreview on how to dismantle te leg sections along with photographs of the steps. Unfortunately "search" is down on dpr. It is actually easier to do it than to explaining. Hope this helps.

Edit: I just used some automotive grease that I had lying around in the garage. Just a little bit on the thread makes them easy and smooth to use. Mine don't lock up as much now. Just make sure that you dont use too much as you certainly do want grease oozing down the leg sections. Messy. Just ask me how I know :)

10. Jay;

Thanks again for the information. I'll give it a try.