Help Walking

I was waiting outside a restaurant midday yesterday for arrival of a friend. Needless to say, I had my camera in hand, on this occasion with the 105 f/2.5 AI-s mounted. I took a few photos including the two I post below. I hadn't really thought about how these two images complement one another until I was reflecting on them this morning. Both the old woman with her walker and the young boy holding his father's hand needed help. Such is the path of this life journey we're all given the opportunity to take. Of course, for the boy most of the adventure lies ahead of him, while the woman's journey is quite a different kind of adventure, no less daunting though perhaps not quite as pleasurable. When she walked past me she looked in my direction, perhaps curious about what I was doing with that camera. Her expression was certainly not open, though when I said good day it softened somewhat.

I don't need a walker yet but my days of needing to hold my father's hand is long past.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Like 'em both, Curtis, well caught! If you could've caught the lady doing a hand
stand off her walker, that would be my fave! j/k and yes, I'm going to hell.

Well seen & shot Curtis! A beginning,middle & hopefully not too soon end. The cycle of life continues!

Thanks guys. Incidentally, I volunteer with an organization that offers support for folks approaching the end of their lives and have been privileged to work with quite a few men and women over the last decade. When folks ask how I can do this work I tell them its in preparation for my own passing. We all end up there eventually, hopefully after having lived a rich, full life. Interestingly, EVERY person with whom I've worked was younger than I was at the time...

Thanks guys. Incidentally, I volunteer with an organization that offers support for folks approaching the end of their lives and have been privileged to work with quite a few men and women over the last decade. When folks ask how I can do this work I tell them its in preparation for my own passing. We all end up there eventually, hopefully after having lived a rich, full life. Interestingly, EVERY person with whom I've worked was younger than I was at the time...
Curtis, my hat is off to you for your selfless involvement in our senior citizens.

Don't give me too much credit folks. What I receive from my time with these men and women is far more than I give. And for the record, the youngest person with whom I worked was 33 years old and recently married. A rare illness struck her and she lived for only six months. When I met her she'd gone through chemotherapy and had lost all her hair, yet she was certainly one of the most beautiful human beings I've ever encountered. Her heart was so open. We spent an hour simply holding hands and gazing into one another's eyes. All she asked of me was that I help her husband with her death. I met with her only twice. I'll never forget her.

To be honest, I'd not intended to share that part of my life on this board, though I did identify myself as a marriage and family therapist in my profile, so I guess there was some willingness to be honest.

For anyone interested in the work I do I'll offer the link below which eventually leads to a series of articles with photos of a client with whom I worked for two years. I'd say in all honesty that the most profound photo I've ever taken was of this man and his three years old daughter sharing a kiss as he leaned over in his wheelchair. These were all shot during my Canon days, that shot with the 85L mounted on a 5D.

http://www.livingdying.org/pages/z_articles/denlow.html

Nice series, both have a real "feel" to them, really shows the power of B&W. Nice camera work.

God Bless You Curtis And All The Special People You Work With!
I definitely feel blessed by the volunteer work I do. The remarkable thing, of course, is that we are all facing this particular journey. None of us gets out of here alive. Some, sadly, as we're witnessing in Japan at the moment, have their journey brought to a sudden and tragic end.

Thanks Steve.

Thanks Alan and Peter. Yes, the story is universal, something I appreciate much more fully as I navigate my 70th year on this planet. Yes, I'm 69, but that only means I've completed 69 years of this journey. Every day is a gift.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom