1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

HELP! Water damage to D80

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by petertranv, Jul 4, 2008.

1. petertranv

petertranv

Feb 25, 2008
    Seattle
    I'm currently in Vietnam and was taking wave photos when on huge one creeped up unexpectedly and splashed onto my D80. I took out the batteries and aired it out. It turns on but then automatically takes photos as soon as you flip the ON switch. The LCD also doesn't work. After three days it worked normally but then went berserk again.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix it? I heard that sending it to Nikon repair is a hefty $300-400 and I just don't have that amount laying around...

Thanks,

2. I would say 'you have one dead D80'. Do you have a good travel insurance?
    Sucses with it!

3. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    OUCH!!! That sux, hope you can get it fixed without costing YOU too much money.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2008
  4. whyhan

whyhan

Jun 14, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Don't rely on what you hear. Just send it off for an estimate. You might be lucky and turns out to be minor part replacement.

5. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Not to disappoint you in advance, but salt water is extremely corrosive (I was looking for an adjective that is more extreme than ehm, "extreme" but couldn't think of any).
    I remember seeing some pictures on dpreview of Nikons that were damaged by salt water, with comments like "at first it worked fine but after a week it stopped working" and those pictures looked horrible.

Corrosion is a chemical process that depends highly on the free exchange of electrons. A highly conductive medium - salt water - facilitates this process greatly. This is why salt water is so much more corrosive than regular water.
    On top of it, once the water has evaporated the salt stays behind in crystalized form, and these crystals are really good in sucking moisture out of the air, keeping the corrosion process in place.

6. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    This is why you cannot take a camera to the beach. Ok years ago I learned this lesson...I took my Minolta 7000 (ok so I'm dating myself now) to the beach and didn't think anything of it. You don't realize there is sand in the air. Two days later I took the camera out to take pictures of my dog and when I went to manually lens focus on her [dog]...I could hear my lens go CRUNCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Yes there was sand in the crevis (sp) of the lens.

So sorry...you need to send it off to Nikon ASAP...it might be salvageable.

7. Sorry to hear this! Salt water and electronics = bad news :( 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.