Help What Happened here????

Not sure if my xtol died or what this is a straight scan. FIlm was Plus x and souped with xtol 1-1 for 7:45 min. The xtol mix is around 6 months old

xtol exp by lifthard1, on Flickr

It is possible that Dev died or contaminated etc, but the image as seen here is not the best to try and judge due to it being a positive.

It could be just a poor scan and without knowing how the negative actually looks it is very difficult to judge.

Did you scan as negative or positive?
Did you adust the scan histogram or allow auto operation?
Does your negative look anything like the ones shown in the image below?
Top row your image as posted here as a straight print from the neg - note the low contrast in histogram
Middle adjusted to a more 'normal' neg.
Bottom perhaps a little overcooked

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is possible that Dev died or contaminated etc, but the image as seen here is not the best to try and judge due to it being a positive.

It could be just a poor scan and without knowing how the negative actually looks it is very difficult to judge.

Did you scan as negative or positive?
Did you adust the scan histogram or allow auto operation?
Does your negative look anything like the ones shown in the image below?
Top row your image as posted here as a straight print from the neg - note the low contrast in histogram
Middle adjusted to a more 'normal' neg.
Bottom perhaps a little overcooked
[URL]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm256/TonyWarrington/ScannedNeg.jpg[/URL]
Tony I scanned via Plustek as a neg,did not adjust the histogram and no auto anything was on.
TY for any help

When you examine the negative on a lightbox or window does it look anything like one of the representations in the left hand column i.e. top, middle or bottom?

If the negative resembles closest to the top left column then it is possible that underdevelopment culprit, due to incorrect dev dilution, temperature or time. Or even an exhausted oxidised dev.

If the negative is closer to the middle or bottom then developer is probably ok and it is the scanning that is at fault. You can correct any of these in post but I always think that it is best practice to get correct at the scanning stage. So not knowing your scanner of software and if the negs look alright I would suggest that you adjust the histogram black and white points in your prescan to just short of clipping which should then give you an image much closer to the finished look you want.

EDIT: You should also make sure that you are just including the image portions of the negative as in your example there is a strip of non image (film area) on the left that will throw out any scanner calculations

Tony under the light box the neg looks closest to the middle. The software that Im using is Silverfest

Mark, that is good and would suggest that there is nothing wrong with your processing. Just needed this to be confirmed.

The problem is in the scanning as in this case there is inclusion of small white areas to the left and bottom of the image. It seems likely that this has caused the Silverfast software to view these areas as important image info and therefore has included them in image calculations causing the flat dark image you see.

If you scan again but this time first making sure you crop out unwanted non image areas then adjust the scan histogram so that white and black points are brought in just short of clipping, you should be good to go.

Hope the image makes it a little clearer what has happened and how to cure it

Thank you Tony I will try rescan later today and see what happens

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom