Help with a color change in Photoshop

I was given what i thought should be a relatively easy Photoshop project that has been much harder than I thought. (I should have known it would be, as I have never had much luck with Photoshop.:smile: Anyway, I was given a jpeg copy of a friends clubs logo, that consists of black letters on a white background with a design in black as well. I am trying to change the color of everything to blue and replace the background with a textured photo. I have searched online and found several tutorials, which I followed without success. If someone could help me out here, I would really appreciate it. If it would be easier to just do it yourself rather than trying to explain it to a photoshop neophyte, I coiuld send the files to you. I am using Photoshop CS4 if this makes a difference. Thanks for any help.
Joe

You will need to put the textured photo as a layer underneath, and use the magic wand to select the parts to erase. You will then use the magic wand to select all the text and logo that you want changed to another colour, and then use the paint bucket to fill it in. Shouldn't be that difficult.

You will need to put the textured photo as a layer underneath, and use the magic wand to select the parts to erase. You will then use the magic wand to select all the text and logo that you want changed to another colour, and then use the paint bucket to fill it in. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Sandi, I used the magic wand tool to select the text, created a new layer and tried the hue and saturation tool to change the color, but had no luck. I will give your method a try. Here is the log o that I am trying to change to blue, as well as the texture layer I am trying to place underneath it. Do I need to create a layer mask to eliminate the white so just the stone color shows up? Is there and easy way to do this in the small areas? Thanks for your help.
Joe

i-3v7qdmz-L.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 956610

You can't change the hue and saturation of black - black is black is black in this instance. You need to choose all the black areas and fill them with blue with the paint bucket. Once you're happy with that, tell the picker to choose all the white areas, and hit delete, with the stone grey in a layer under the logo. No need for masking, just delete.

Last edited by a moderator:
REALLY fast and dirty..... not refined at all.

original.gif

I should have adjusted the tolerance on the magic wand better, I just wanted a very fast example of how to do it. I first selected all the black pixels, and then filled them in with a blue paint brush. I then pulled the stone image underneath the logo as a bottom layer. I then colour selected all the white, and hit delete. I added a drop shadow for a touch... and there you go, Bob's yer uncle. I'd even recommend a bit of a bevel on the blue letters/logo.

View attachment 956615

OK, I'll spend a bit more time with it and see if that's what you want. Do you want this blue, or a bit darker?

Sandi, You are good, I can't tell you how long I struggled with this. I didn't know that you couldn't change the black. Guess that answers why it didn't work. I really need to go somewhere and learn a bit of photoshop I guess. That is just about the perfect blue by the way. I will sit down at my desktop when iget howm tonight and see if I can't figure out how you did it. I mght get back to you for some further explaation. Thanks again.
Joe

OK, here you go... final version.

Enlarged logo by 10% to give some space around the lettering.
Changed image size of stone pic to match logo final size.
Slid stone pic underneath logo pic.. and then proceeded with the steps outlined above but used a darker blue which matches the stone better IMO.
Finished up with some bevelling and contour on the logo and lettering.

original.gif

Joe, please tell me you're using Win7 and I can do a live tutorial with you on YOUR PC and walk you through the steps via phone at the same time. A LOT faster way to teach/learn. If you're not using Win7, there's another little program that works called TeamViewer.

Joe, please tell me you're using Win7 and I can do a live tutorial with you on YOUR PC and walk you through the steps via phone at the same time. A LOT faster way to teach/learn. If you're not using Win7, there's another little program that works called TeamViewer.

Sandi,
Actually I am using a Mac. Is there any way to set up a tutorial using it? I would truly appreciate a little help. I agree it is much better to have someone showing you how to do something as opposed to reading a book about it. Part of my problem is also that I so very rarely use photoshop that I usually for get everything I have learned about it. I was so desperate today that I wound up trying to use a youtube tutorial recorded by what sounded like a ten year old girl, showing how to change the colors on a Hannah Montana logo. Talk about making me feel dumb.:smile:
Any way you could give me a couple of lessons in photoshop, would certainly be appreciated. And the job you did on the logo was exactly what I had in mind. Thanks again
Joe

Here is my version...very easy to do

i-3v7qdmz-L_1.jpg

• Combine images -texture is the bottom layer - text/logo top
  • Using the magic wand, click anywhere on the black text/logo
  • Under Select > click similar
  • Click ctrl+c, ctrl+v
  • Now you should have a layer with just the text. Unclick the layer with the white background so it's no longer visible
  • Right click on the new text/logo layer and choose blending options
  • Under Advanced blending - Fill Opacity to 0
  • Click Inner Shadow - For this size file I used Angle 30, Distance 2, Choke 0, Size 3
  • Click Color Overlay - Blend mode Hard Light, color #000a6d, Opacity 70%

That was it, except for resizing the text/logo layer to fix better. Also the image I was using is grayscale, so if you are using the same image make sure to convert it to RBG before working on it.

Let me know if you have any questions
Charles

Thank you Charles. That is what I was trying to do. I'm sure it isn't that hard if you have a basic understanding of photoshop, which unfortunately I don't. I did a search online for replacing text colors, and the only tutorials I found had me trying to use the hue saturation tool. As Sandi pointed out to me, that doesn't work if the text is black. Now I know.
Joe

Thank you Charles. That is what I was trying to do. I'm sure it isn't that hard if you have a basic understanding of photoshop, which unfortunately I don't. I did a search online for replacing text colors, and the only tutorials I found had me trying to use the hue saturation tool. As Sandi pointed out to me, that doesn't work if the text is black. Now I know.
Joe

Joe,

If you follow the steps above you can duplicate it easily. Here is the psd file (it's done with CS5, but should be fine in CS4) to see what I did.

http://db.tt/DjTOo1YL

Charles, When I get a few minutes I will open that file and see the steps you took to achieve this. I don't use photoshop much at all but every time I do I find there is something I never knew before. The similar command sure makes it a whole lot easier to make a selection.
Joe

Latest threads

Top Bottom