Help with a lens decision please

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jonathan, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    I'll try to make this brief. I have the following lenses right now:

17-55 2.8
    24-120VR
    70-200VR & 1.7 tele
    85mm 1.4
    50mm 1.8

I have read great things about the 35mm f2 and although I love the 50mm; with the 85, I really don't need that length that much considering what I have now. The 50mm is extremely sharp, but would the 35mm be a waste considering I have the 17-55?

The only thing that has me considering it is the that big 2.0.(and it's pretty affordable.

For anyone who has it, just how sharp is it???

Suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks..

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It is a nice lens, and it works especially well at night because not only is it fast, it is also very small. Here are some examples:

http://radio.weblogs.com/0101365/stories/2004/09/07/photosTakenWithThe35mmF2dN.html

PS, I also own the 24-120vr. The only time they compete is for museum shooting, where the stillness makes the vr earn it's keep. The 35 also does well there though, so I often toss a coin or ask around first.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    Thanks Chris. The main thing I forgot to mention was my intended use, which was low light shooting, and it could be handheld at a pretty slow shutter speed. Honestly this lens has more appeal to me than my 50mm 1.8.

Your images were all great and tack sharp. I appreciate the feedback very much.

4. maybe the 28mm F2 AIS could be a candidate? It is a very sharp and cheap lens if you get a good one used ($150?)

I love mine - it is really sharp, and works really well in low light with the F2

5. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    I'm a bit confused about the AIS version, what is the difference? I have a chance to pick up the 35mm in the box w lens hood for $175, which I think is pretty good.

Please fill me in on the AIS, I always wondered what the difference was. Thanks!!

6. Johnathon

I have the 35mm F/1.4 AIS. It's a manual focus lens but it's a great substitute for the 28mm f/1.4 which, I think is about $1600 US. I found it on Ebay for $325. At first I "almost" regretted buying it, but then when I began working with it I noticed that as I adjusted the focus the camera "told" me when I had reached optimum with a yellow dot in the viewfinder (I'm embarassingly naiive what it comes to some equipment).

Rich

7. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    Thanks Rich...

Now I understand. Sounds like a bargain. Thanks for helping me out. I'll do some searching today.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Somebody bail me out if I'm wrong, but I think the D70's light meter will not work with a manual focus lens.

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The 85mm PC also has a 'P' chip I believe, and maybe the wider PC lens, but that is all. There are after-market folks who will install a 'chip' with the appropriate contacts in most MF lenses.

11. Sorry for being so slow to reposnding but others have already filled in and they are as usual very knowledgeable - much more so then me.

Rich and I discussed the 35mm, I haven't gotten mine yet but it seems like a great buy. The one I mentioned was the 28mm F2.0 AIS so it is manual focus and on the D70 you have no metering but have to wing it with the Histogram. This is also a very good lens.

A couple of options for you:
    * If you want AF you could swallow hard, empty your wallet, and get the 28mm 1.4 AF. A great lens many say including Ron Reznick
    * There is a 35mm F2.0 AF, it is not that expensive (there is one on Ebay for USD155), I have not seen reviews of it. The fact that it is so cheap is not promising(?)
    * there is of course the 35mm 1.4, many say it is a great lens.
    * I have the 28mm F2.0 AIS. A very sharpÄ and nice lens, but it is slower then the 1.4's for sure, great price though! (I paid usd165 for mine)

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hey Johathan do you need to call me again !!!!!

rofl

13. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    lol...Gale, I'd be lost without you, but I'm all set for now!!!!rofl rofl

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I want a 45P lololol
    will you guys quit this LLD stuff please

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    If you don't quit i'm going to have to come live with one of ya to pay off my GD credit card.. Yeah I cook and do laundry

16. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    Remember Gale. I sold a bunch of stuff that I wasn't using, so I, well uh, I just couldn't hang on to the dough...

You believe me don't you? lol lol