1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

help with blown highlight CS2

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Edrod13, Jul 22, 2007.

1. I took this pic yesterday of my cousin and would like to have this printed for her as a gift. If someone knows how to fix the highlights on the right, I would be very grateful. They are gift bags and presents that were on the outer edge of the covered patio area with possible direct sunlight. I did shoot RAW, so hopefully that will help. I am assumming it would take layers, but I am such a CS2 newbie!

Also, I proccessed the raw file using ACR, any comments on the pic would also be appreciated. Thanks so very much in advanced.

869664373_36145f39a4_b.

2. Hi, Eddie
    Great shot of your cousin. I can see why you want to print it.

The blown highlights didn't bother me as much as the distracting background.
    Tree limbs seemed to be everywhere.

This looks like a baby shower to me so I extracted the subjects and left a couple of gifts on the left. It would have been just as easy to remove them if this wasn't appropriate.

After extracting the couple using the PS Plug-in Fluid Mask 3, I applied a simple gradient as the background. This involved three layers. The original image, the masked image and the new background.

Oh yes, I also cropped it to make a more pleasing view.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
  3. I think Virginia has a very good fix to this one. I played with the gifts and there was just no way I could force them to look "right". I don't think this is a good edit, but I'll post anyway. I replaced the blown out gift bags.

[​IMG]

4. Virginia and Bandnuts, Thanks so much for your time. I just got home from a day out with the family and was happy to see your replies.

The trees are kind of distracting, but for some reason I like them there otherwise it would seem unnatural since we were at the park. Placing something in place of the blown out bags is always an option.

I owe both of you big time for your effort and willingness to help. I will check back to see if anyone has any other suggestions since I would like to keep the pic as original or intact as possible.

I have seen some amazing edits here on the cafe, so I am hoping someone can help me get rid of these blown out gifts. thanks

5. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Can you post the raw file ? Looks like you may be able to recover some of those highlights.

6. I do not have a site from which I can upload it to unless flicker will let me, but I could e-mail to you or anyone who would like to help me out

7. Just tried with Flicker but my file is 5.2MB which exceeds the limit when using a standard account.

8. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
  9. RFCNIKON,

File has been sent. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

10. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I think some simulated bokeh would be nice via photoshop blurring.

11. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005

Hi Edrod13

I downloaded the file but wasnt really able to recover much in ACR CS3. Covering it as Bandnuts suggested was all I could do.

[​IMG]
    (full size tiff file (17MB : http://rfcgraphics.com/request/v500.tif )

Bandnuts - really nice retouch. Much better than mine

Edrod13 - nice image. I am sure the couple would be happy with your intial photo

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  12. RFCNIKON,

thanks very much for the help. I like your edit with the new gift replaced over the blown one. Is that hard to do in CS2? It is something that I have never done and slowly but surely I am getting better at PP.

I am really impressed with all three edits and hope that someday I too can acheive these results. With your permission RFCNIKON, I will download it as one of the possible versions for printing. At this point it does look like this is all that can be done with the raw file. Once again thanks to all who took time out of their own day to help me out.

13. Just a quick question? If I decide to go with the original, how where you guys able to remove the highlights from the gifts on the bottom that are laying on the table. It seems in both of your edits, these werent a problem, just the gift bag. Thanks

14. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Edrod13

Feel free to do whatever with that tiff file :)  I was able to recover some of the blown highlights on the boxes in ACR. I processed two files and then combined them in photoshop. One file for the main scene, and the other file was for the boxes with the emphasis on recovering as much detail as possible. Adding the coverup box was simple. Make a selection around the blown area with your pen tool and then just paste into with the new box. Hope this helps

PS - Virginia...I am really amazed how well do these extractions. Their Perfect ! Nice retouch

15. Once I open both pics and make my edits, what functions overlaps them? Also in order to remove the highlights from the gifts, I have to darken that pic. When I merge them, does that take the pop away from the other pic where both of them are in full color? If this does not make sense please let me know. Thanks

16. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Picture A - processed for people
    Picture B - processed for boxes

1 - open both pics
    2 - copy picture A and paste on top of picture B
    3 - use erasor tool and paint over boxes with blown highlights

You are basically removing parts of the top layer (picture A) to allow parts of the lower layer (picture B)to show thru.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.