Help With Camera Repair (Please) - Updated - Again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flew, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    9/23/2005 Update*******************************************

I just talked to Nikon. They have both of my cameras (D70 - BGLOD, D2H - Damaged in my fall last Sunday). Nikon is covering the D70 repair. The D2H repair will be $485 which seems very reasonable to me. I should have them back in about a week.

Hallelujah :tongue:

Thanks to everyone here for all the help and advice. :smile:

End 9/23/2005 Update****************************************

Update***************************************************

I did just receive an email from a Nikon service contact that I got here. He was very courteous, and provided me with a link to the Q&A page on the Nikon web site that describes the service process. I should have seen it when I looked last week and yesterday, but there are a bunch of entries on that page and I didn't.

He did reiterate that you do not have to contact Nikon in order to send in something for repair which still seems strange to me. He also said that they will contact you by mail to resolve any issues, which seems rather inefficient when you are waiting for your camera(s) to come back. However, several folks here have reported talking to them on a daily basis, so it would appear that there are other, more timely ways of communicating with them.

I'll report any further updates that may be of general interest.

Frank

End Update************************************************

I now have two cams in need of repair, and I need some help in getting them into the right hands at Nikon. My D70 has the BGLOD (blinking green light of death), and I fell this weekend and tweaked the lens mount on my D2H.

I have looked on the Nikon web site, sent them emails, read my warranty card, and I don't see how I'm supposed to get in contact with them prior to sending the cams in for repair. I am very nervous about just shipping my babies to an address without getting some kind of return authorization number, and actually talking to a human being to insure that they know that the cams are on the way.

Can anyone else here that has used Nikon service give me some guidance?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2005
  2. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Frank,
    I have not yet had the "pleasure" of Nikon service, but Anand recently compiled info from both here and DPR. Try http://www.anands.net/faq/gblod.html for your D70 problem.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bob,

I had already bookmarked that page. :wink:

Thanks,

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Frank,

If you have a local camera store that is a Nikon dealer, ask if they have an NPS membership, if they will send your bodies in for you, they can also get you a loaner to keep you shooting.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Frank,

Unfortunately, we don't have a pro Nikon dealer in town. Hard to believe, but true. :cool:

Thanks for the thoughts though. :smile:

6. Good luck Frank, I sent my in to Torrence with an accompanying letter. I then followed up with a call shortly after it arrived. The Torrence facility did send me information that they had received it and it was in service.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Frank, I was nervous the first time I sent equipment in for repair. Follow the directions on Nikon's website and watch the tracking number for your shipper. Once you know they've received your item, you can call, get an update and repair order number. Really sorry to hear about your camera problems. My D70 is in for repair now too. :frown:

Hope all works out well for you!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

9. Frank, sorry to hear about your cameras. I sent my BGLOD stricken D70 to Melville 3 weeks ago, shipped it overnight. I did not talk to anybody at Nikon prior to that. I also sent a letter explaining the problem and a pitch to get it done free. Sending it overnight let me confirm that they had received it. It takes them around 3 days to enter it into their system. I called them everyday until I got a service order number. After that I have been tracking the progress from their website. They just shipped it a couple of days ago, hopefully I will receive it tomorrow. Let me know if you need any more info. Anand's blog also has the needed info.

Good Luck!

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the help everyone. I still can't believe that you are just supposed to ship $5,000 worth of camera equipment blind. That just seems so uncaring and unprofessional. You would think that Nikon would at least want some kind of credit card info ahead of time, to insure that you can pay. :confused:

In any case, I boxed everything up real well, and dropped the package off at Patrick's place to be picked up by UPS. I'm shipping it overnight, and insuring it for five grand. Now I have to call State Farm and break the news to them. I hope that I don't get canceled. :Depressed

11. I find this amazing. In the UK it is very simple to phone Nikon UK on anything.

They have a separate telephone numbers for all their different products and you have no problem in getting through. In fact I have a problem with my Nikon Capture refusing to work One phonecall at 9.00am this morning was all they needed, and they are looking at it now.

Best wishes. Bob F.

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I couldn't agree with you more Bob. :confused:

13. Frank,

I would be interested in how State Farm handles this. I use them to insure my
    equipment, but have never used them.

Ray

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I'll let everyone know when I see how they react Ray. They are probably not in a good mood right now for other reasons. I hope that doesn't spill over.

15. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank

I've had to do the Nikon Service rout with three different bodies now and for the most part, they've been extremely expeditious in getting my equipment returned to me. It usually comes back looking brand spanking new as well.

I always call them the minute that I know they've received it (I typically get in touch with them ahead of time) and I call them daily. as long as you're nice but firm, they're pretty helpful.

I've asked and received e-mailed overnight UPS slips from them to cover shipping with all of my in-warranty repairs. They don't offer this up front, but I've always asked and always received it.

Did you get hurt when you fell????????

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Frank,
    When I had a prob with my 5000 I just called them.

1-877-44-NIKON
    (1-877-446-4566)
    nikon world
    Customer Information:
    1-800-NIKON-US
    (1-800-645-6687) Repair Service:
    1-800-NIKON-SV
    (1-800-645-6678)

Asked them all the questions. I think they gave me a service number. Can't remember right off hand.

They told me how to pack, what to send, letter of explanation of probs I was having etc.

I also asked if the camera could be cleaned and through check and see tht the latest firmware was installed and please test camera. :>))))

Good Luck.

See you have packed already though.

Your babies will be fine :>))))))

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

I tried calling them last week concerning the D70, but was put on hold for ever. I sent a message via their web site (as a registered user), and was told that I would receive an answer 'within 24 hours'. That was last Thursday. No word.

I hope everything goes as smoothly for me as it has for you, but I sure would like to hear from an actual human being. :rolleyes: How do you know when they have received your item(s)?

Other than some badly barked up shins, I'm fine. :smile:

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I was responding to Jim when you posted Gale, so I missed it the first time. Thanks for the numbers. :smile:

19. Late, but FWIW, I have sent them camera bodies four times and lenses four times. Only once did I ever speak to someone, and they called me. I just follow the instructions here:

http://nikonusa.com/pdf/Nikon_Inc.pdf

I have never sent in anything but the product, a letter, a copy of the original receipt and probably a bit more packing than is necessary. I always double box and use air bladders around the inner box. :rolleyes:

Several days later I get the confirmation letter. I have actually gotten the item back sooner than I got the letter, which is fine with me. They seem to give "pro" gear higher priority, or if you beg for mercy in the letter.

I of course use insured, trackable shipping. USPS or UPS.

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama

Thanks Beez. I pretty much did everything you did. Here's hoping for the best. :smile: