Help with camera setup

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by trynforpar, Jul 20, 2008.

1. I will be takin gmy D300 on vacation to Tahoe, Yosemite and Napa and will shoot primarlily outdoors. Can anyone provide me with a basic setup of the camera menus or should I just go by experience and trial and error.

2. Well, you will get lots of opinions... but... turn active d-lighting on in the camera... shoot in raw and just about anything you do you can undo... well, make sure it is in focus.. :biggrin: My advice would be to pick an appropriate ISO (bright sun low, cloudy 500 or 600) and shoot in aperture mode. Shooting landscape?... take the f-stop to get an SS as low as reasonable....

Do that, you make a mistake, you can fix it in PP....

3. Dittos on the RAW. Set that puppy on App at about f8-16 for a good DOF, 400 ISO if the sun is above the yard arm and fire for effect. Looking fwd to your post of some pics. The symmetry of Napa is great. Have fun!

4. your going to see too many different situations for any recommendations to be applicable to your whole trip. instead you should learn what all the gizmos do and how you can use them to your advantage. that way you can adapt to the conditions encountered. I base set up has so many menu options switched up that using an identical camera out of the box is like picking up a camera from another brand, so if your asking, you defiantly don't want my setup.

universally, capture in Raw 14-bit, thats about it.