Help with Capture 4.4.0

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeeJay, Dec 15, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I downloaded the new Capture 4.4.0 today and so far It's been awful and no way can I use it. Here's a picture that I did nothing to except convert to jpeg..this is how it came out in the new Capture.

Do you have any idea why this happens? I tried processing several and they were much worse than this one and completely unusable.

I hope I'm doing something wrong because hate to go backwards with Capture and would like to use the upgrade.

This picture didn't look anything like this out of the camera. It looked 100% better right out of camera.

Thanks and your ideas certainly welcome,

Gaye

[​IMG]

2. Gaye there are some threads on another forum that indicate problems with saving to jpeg from capture 4.4 The problem apparently was resolved by setting the jpeg compression to "excellent" quality...Don't know whether this is the same problem you're having. I'm not having this problem...generally I save to TIFF from capture and jpeg in photoshop cs.

hope this helps

bohdan bob tkaczyk

3. espn

espn

Dec 11, 2005
    Singapore
    According to a friend who've had such a problem, the resolution was to select a JPEG compression value when saving from NEFs into JPEGs.

Hope it helps.

4. Hi Gaye,

I checked out Capture's jpg saving operation after hearing from you. Apparently, one of Nikon's codewriters missed a stroke or two.

After you click File > Save As and choose jpg in the second white box, you have to click on the completely grayed out third white box to bring up the quality options. Choose Excellent and the image will be saved as in prior Capture editions. The next time you save an image as a jpg, the quality options in that third box will be visible. Just a minor defect, but one that doesn't continue to annoy.

Now there's no longer any obstacle to your learning LAB Color in Photoshop.

Glenn

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Glenn, Espn and Bob,

That's it. WHEW:biggrin: That sure feels better to know the answer to my problem.. It works and is perfect.. What a big help you all are.

Thanks a million. I hope also that this helps other who have this same problem because they will have it.

Gaye

6. Hi Gaye,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I was just trying to save a fille out of capture 4.4 to jpg, and ran into the same problems. Knowing about the pulldown really helped. Thanks:smile:

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Ed,

Just think, if we didn't have this forum we'd be in 'big trouble' with the new Capture. Glad it helped you too.

I'm more appreciative than ever of this good place.

Gaye

8. Thanks Gaye for bringing this to our attention. I have not used the new version so I will be on the lookout for this.

9. Capture 4.4

I received my new D200 today, and was processing some test shots. My son in law has a red truck. It looked good in capture, but when I saved it to a jpg it became all blotchy and pixelated. Other things in the picture were ok. It had me scared that there was something wrong with the camera until I remembered reading your post. I reprocessed it using the suggested fix and now all is well. whew!:smile:

10. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Yes...thanks for this! I haven't used the new version yet and would have groaned loudly if that happened! :Love:

11. Hello Gaye

No kiddin', I was in the same boat and about to uninstall and return to 4.3.2. I didn't even notice the compression box being greyed out. All is well now, thanks.

12. Thanks all for that tip I would probably of missed it:eek: .
    I have another oddity, though, with the latest version of Nikon View. I downloaded a D200 NEF to play with off someone who posted a link to one in DPR. It proved that I do not need a new PC if I go down the D200 route sometime which was the main object of the exercise but it was a vertical shot which Nikon View rotated automatically in the Browser, when I double clicked to open in the viewer it did that but only the top half of the picture was visible - OK scroll down - but you can't there is no scroll bar:mad: You can reduce the size but the picture when its all there only ocupies the lower half of the window. Any one know the way round this?

13. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Dave,
    If you start a thread with that question I'll bet many others will come to your rescue..and I sure want to know the answer to that problem now that I've got the Capture problem solved.

Good Luck--by the way, which version of View is it that is giving you the problem?

Gaye

14. The very latest. But here is a strange thing, I only get the problem on my desktop,:confused: it works perfectly on my laptop and its the same prog, I only downloaded it once then loaded it on both my machines. A thought occurs to me :biggrin: the laptop is brand new and NV 6.2.7 is the only version of NV ever to be loaded on to it. On the other hand my desk top has had every previous version of NV for the last 2 or 3 years on it. When I loaded 6.2.7 I unloaded the previous version using the usual windows XP uninstall method but did not clear out the registry - I wonder if I should have done that:confused:I seem to remember a utility Nikon provide for doing it.

15. Well that didn't work (the reg cleaner is in the utilities folder of the 6.2.7 download) - I will live with it:mad:

16. yoda1975

yoda1975

Dec 11, 2005
    Singapore
    hi! well, the bloke that espn mentioned earlier is me... :redface:

i encountered the same problem and was panicking. then, a friend of mine told me how to solve it and it worked. wonder if this is a bug that nikon introduced into the program... :confused:

anyway, for a reference, here's the box that users should be filling out (at least in windows XP).

setting.

17. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Yoda,

Thanks for the illustration. I know this will help others.

AND be sure to post in the NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTION forum so everyone can welcome you. AND a big WELCOME to you from me also.

Great to have you and I see you're from another part of the world. I'm in Florida.

Thanks again for helping,

Gaye