Help with Christmas Letter layout

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pa, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Hi folks. This is a bit off-topic, but I thought I'd see if some of the creative heads here could help me out.

My wife wants to do a Christmas letter this year with small color photos interspersed with the text. I can't quite figure out how to do this with MS Word. (As a technical person I've always used TeX or LaTeX for word processing.)

Does anyone here have experience with this? Is there some free or cheap software out there some where with preset layouts like this?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Pa...This is quite easy. After your wife writes the Christmas letter she can go to Insert>Add Picture>From File and Word will add it.

Hope this helps. If you need some more help, let me know and I will do my best to help you.

3. Thanks, Catz, but I know how to insert a picture. The problem is Word will not let anything be typed beside the picture after it is inserted. I'm making progress now with PowerPoint.

4. Pa I use Microsoft Publisher which is made for just such a task. I used to publish a newsletter and Publisher made it a piece of cake. It can be done in Microsoft Word but it is much harder. What you have to do is to is use the draw option and then put it an empty box. Put your cursor inside the box and then insert the image. It has been a long time since I have tried that but I am pretty sure it will work. Wish I could be of more help.

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Photos In Word

Pa, first you would insert a new text box where you want it, and set it's properties for word wrap around it. Then insert your picture into that new text box - the photo will resize to the size of the text box, and the box can be moved around. Each photo needs its own text box.

Ken

6. To do this in Word, insert your picture file anywhere inside your document. Right click on the image and select "Format Picture". Click the tab for "Layout" and either select "Square" or "Tight". These layouts will allow you to drag the image anywhere you want it and will have the text wrap around it. FYI, you can resize the image while inside word by clicking on the image and using the mouse to drag the corners in or out.

HTH.

7. Many thanks to all who have replied. :smile:

Jim's suggestion seems to be the one which solved my problem.

This is a great place to get help!

8. You got that right! I'm glad to be able to reciprocate from time to time... :wink: