1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

help with D3 + 84 f1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by swmlon, Jul 24, 2008.

1. i am having a few problems with this combination and i am wondering if anyone can help me resolve this issue.

I am finding that the 85 is front focussing by quite a lot on my images on the D3, more so that on the D200.

i have gone through the AF fine-tuning but finding myself going all the way up to +20 to get sharp images. however, i have noticed that since doing this, when i take pictures of people from a distance (getting their whole body into the shot) i am now getting back-focus issues. i adjust again (this time to +12) and everything is sharp again. however, if the subject moves closer i begin to get front focussing issues.

has anyone else had similar issues with this lens? is the obvious answer to send the lens to nikon for servicing?

your thoughts are most welcome, especially as i have a couple of weddings coming up and the 85 is critical to my work.

thanks

shing

2. I am using the 85 1.8 on my D3. This seems to be my most front focusing lens on the D3. I believe I settled in with a +14. I am very happy with it now.

Personally, I would set up about three focus test shots. One about 8 feet from the camera, 15 feet, and 25 feet. Use a tripod. And maybe shoot at F2. 1.4 is very thin. Set up something like this:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=178962

If there seems to be a problem, I would just send the lens to Nikon.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.