help with DVD burning

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by spanishbayonet, Jul 26, 2007.

1. It is time to unburden my hard drive. I have read that DVDs were better for long term storage, so I am looking for an uncomplicated program to use for burning the pictures onto DVDs. I generally use Nikon View initially. I have Media center XP for windows. I guess I should be able to pull the files from anywhere in my hard drive, if that is a consideration. The computer came with Sonic Record now 7.0. Have not tried it. But I want to be able to view the DVDs without using proprietary software if possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Christopher

2. Hi Christopher,

I use Nero 6 for dvd burning - works very well for video and data files.

Sean

3. Another Nero user here - Nero 7 Premium Reloaded (Vista compatible) to be exact :D

4. spencer313

spencer313 Guest

Use Nero!

DO NOT use Roxio. You will not be a happy camper.

S

5. Thanks guys, but what features do you like with Nero, can you view the DVD on any player, or do you need the orig software. What is lousy with Roxio?
    I need a little more detail, if possible.

Christopher

6. Nero, for sure!!!!! Simple solution. No hassles.

7. The dvds can be read by any computer dvd drive that I've used. I wouldn't try and view NEFs on a dvd player connected to my tv though... :smile:

Nero has a graphical interface that makes sense and you don't have to hunt for a ton of buried config options in order to do a burn.

8. spencer313

spencer313 Guest

Roxio has some very unstable software. I think it has to do with how they implement "Drag-to-Disk". I had system freezes and blue-screens-of-death through three paid versions and multiple different computers. I switched to Nero and never looked back.

9. OK I am sold, any place you would recommend buying it from?

10. mallaig

mallaig

Mar 12, 2006
    You can buy it here and I suggest to just get a key instead of the box. The box doesn't contain anything you can't download from nero.com.

When you install Nero 7 make sure you do a custom install, it has a lot of useful things that no one needs who just wants to burn a data disk. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

11. Thanks Tim. I was looking for it and found it on Amazon, before I saw your post. I was reading peoples reviews, holy cow. It sounds horrible, many extreme install problems, ruining their systems, dismal support...... Leaves me wondering how there could be such a disparity in your opinions and others. Maybe I would be better off using the older version?

Christopher

12. mallaig

mallaig

Mar 12, 2006
    Like Sean I'm using version 6. I tried 7 but it just was too bloated for my liking. Even 6 has a bunch of features I don't want, but it's less aggressive during installation. Hence me recommending to do a custom install. I basically unchecked everything apart from the burning program itself, which is rock solid.

If you still can get a license for 6? I don't know. I found the customer support to be quite responsive when I had questions, however, I didn't need technical support. YMMV. :wink:

13. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I used Roxio for CD burning years ago. Many of the CD's I burned with it are coasters now, it looks like they have to be read in the same drive they were burned on. I have the machine still, so I am reading the cds and re-burning them with Nero on a different machine. I bought a Sony external DVD/CD burner that came with Nero software and it has been flawless from install thru use. Not sure which version, but I'm running Win XP and the machine (Dell) also has the burner software for the internal CD burner still installed and there are no conflicts.
    When you read reviews, keep in mind you don't know who is writing them or why. There are many computer/technology challenged people out there who are more than willing to share their expert opinions, especially when they have trouble.....and of course, it must be someone elses fault, cause they're no dummy!

14. I have Nero 6.6.0.1 and have NEVER had a problem with it.

15. Thanks all, I think I will try and find the 6.6 version, and un check everything except what is related to DVD and CD burning.

Christopher

16. photoshooter

photoshooter Guest

How long did it take to download, the speed seems very slow.

17. Just a clarifying question.... are you planning on just using the DVD for strictly storage? Because you mention compatibility across 'players' above, I think. I use DVDs to back up the data because you get 4.7 gig, or if you're using dual layer discs, double that, to dump folders of data onto. If you're talking about creating slideshows on DVDs that you can play in different players, that's a different story and will require software other than just Nero, I think.

It's also important to note that *all* optical media, and magnetic too for that matter, has a shelf life that depends on the quality of the media. For important stuff that I have archived, I generally reburn the CD or DVD as the case may be every couple of years... that may be overkill, but media is cheap and data isn't, right? :smile:

18. mallaig

mallaig

Mar 12, 2006
    It is always a little slow. Have you tried one of the mirrors?

19. bruceh4

bruceh4

Jan 16, 2006
    Loudon, TN
    Why buy anything you already have a program which works fine. That is you Sonic Record Now 7.0. I use it all the time.

20. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    been using Nero for years and big fan have used roxio and Sonic which is now owned by Roxio
    Stick with Nero it plain works and works very well
    watch for it on sale at best buy for around $70.00 or less