Help with eBay fraud please

Like others have said, you should be getting your money back. Paypal froze the funds so the seller wasn't able to remove them from Paypal's system. You'll also get the 15% you paid on a credit card through paypal back very quickly when they start the process.

For future reference, never, ever, pay with your PayPal balance. Transfer it to your bank account and use a credit card. PayPal burns people who use their balance and protects people who use a credit card (because PayPal knows the CC companies will just cancel the charge anyway). For example, had this seller transferred the funds into his bank account and then closed out that bank account, all you'd of gotten back would of been the 15% on the credit card with an email from PayPal saying they've suspended the sellers account until he pays you back. A lot of good that would do you right?

I did not think about a hijacked account, but that could be possible.

I have contacted the seller numerous times through the email account registered with Paypal (no contact through eBay possible anymore since eBay deleted that account), but I never received a response.
Just to be clear the eBay account was not put on hold. The owner is no more registered on eBay. All his/her recent past listings have been removed too.

Because of the lack of response, I think that whoever put the D700 for sale, whether it be the legitimate account holder or a hacker, had no honest intentions.

Simone

Like others have said, you should be getting your money back. Paypal froze the funds so the seller wasn't able to remove them from Paypal's system. You'll also get the 15% you paid on a credit card through paypal back very quickly when they start the process.

For future reference, never, ever, pay with your PayPal balance. Transfer it to your bank account and use a credit card. PayPal burns people who use their balance and protects people who use a credit card (because PayPal knows the CC companies will just cancel the charge anyway). For example, had this seller transferred the funds into his bank account and then closed out that bank account, all you'd of gotten back would of been the 15% on the credit card with an email from PayPal saying they've suspended the sellers account until he pays you back. A lot of good that would do you right?

Yes I was aware of that.
However for the same reason I have decided not to give Paypal my bank details, so the money earned from sales aiming at funding the purchase of the D700 had to stay in the Paypal account.
My reason for not giving Paypal my bank details was maybe a bit paranoid. I read that if a buyer filed a "item not received" complaint with Paypal, and if my Paypal account was empty, they could take money from my bank account and I could do nothing about it.
This would be a terrible risk if somebody hijacked my eBay account and used it for illegal purposes, something similar to what could have happened in this situation.

Simone

The difference with you compared to a normal not received item is that eBay has advised you that the listing for the item has been removed. This should ring huge alarm bells and mean that you should immediately do what is necessary to get your money back.

When you say you paid 15% via credit card, was that via the pay pal system or was it a separate transaction?
If effectivly you made one payment to the seller via paypal for the whole amount and it's just that the funds for that whole amount have come from a few places, just let paypal handle it. If the credit card amount was a second transaction make sure you follow that up to.

It doesn't hurt however to call the credit card company and ask them for advice. They may say to let pay pal handle it if it was through pay pal or they may handle that part of it for you.

I do feel for you. I lost a large sum of money via an eBay scam. I did a direct bank transfer and despite the fact that the account I transfered the money to was with my own bank, my bank was unable to do anything about it. They simply took 60 days to investigate and then said they couldn't do anything. No explanation no nothing. I've since put that some of money down to a hard lesson learned and I only now ever use paypal or cash in person.

There was indeed only one transaction via Paypal. 85% of it was covered by funds already in my Paypal account, the remaining 15% was charged to my credit card. Therefore the whole process should be handled by Paypal.
If successful, I am not sure whether Paypal will refund that 15% to my credit card, or if the money will be put in the account.
Either way, it's not a big deal as long as I get my money back.

As for bank transfers, that is something I'd never accept on eBay. I'd only do that with reputable, transparent businesses with a face and an address. The same goes for Western Union. You might as well send cash in a letter and have the same kind of protection.

Simone

Real Name
Mike
My reason for not giving Paypal my bank details was maybe a bit paranoid. I read that if a buyer filed a "item not received" complaint with Paypal, and if my Paypal account was empty, they could take money from my bank account and I could do nothing about it.
This would be a terrible risk if somebody hijacked my eBay account and used it for illegal purposes, something similar to what could have happened in this situation.
I hope this is resolved and you receive all of your money so you can buy a D700.

I have a linked bank account with my PayPal account, but I never keep money in it. When I want to buy something, I transfer money to the bank account and let PayPal take it. When I sell something, I transfer money from PayPal to the bank account and then transfer it out. I think the banking term is a sweep account, which never carries a balance for more than a few hours. This meets PayPal's desire for a bank account and insulates me from loss.

The same thing also happened to my wife with some expensive boots on ebay. The day after the auction closed the seller (with excellent feedback) was gone. Took paypal a while to resolve but eventually we got our money back.

H

heavensent

It may not be as bad as it seems. I had a similar thing happen to me with Ebay. I sold an item for my brother for over $3000 and had the money sent to his paypal email instead of mine. As a fraud precaution, Paypal ended up freezing my account and Ebay cancelled the listing becasue of it. It took a while, but in the end, the seller got his item and I got my money. Paypal is slow. I would just keep in contact with them and hopefully things will work out.

It may not be as bad as it seems. I had a similar thing happen to me with Ebay. I sold an item for my brother for over $3000 and had the money sent to his paypal email instead of mine. As a fraud precaution, Paypal ended up freezing my account and Ebay cancelled the listing becasue of it. It took a while, but in the end, the seller got his item and I got my money. Paypal is slow. I would just keep in contact with them and hopefully things will work out.

If that happened in this case, then the seller would be responding to the emails I am sending to the email address associated to his/her Paypal account.

I do understand mishaps and cockups occur, but if there is no effort to clarify, then what seems dodgy is likely really dodgy.

Simone

Real Name
Jon Schusteritsch
When you file a dispute with Paypal they take your info/side of the story then reach out to the other party for their take on the situation. They usually give the other party something like a week or so to respond... if they respond then Paypal says they review all info and make a decision (if the seller responds with a valid tracking # for shipment then that usually covers them, but other than that there's not much they can prove). If the seller doesn't respond, or responds with sketchy info, then at that point Paypal will decide to refund your money (it is frozen now according to the orig. post, so that is good for you b/c that means the seller wasn't able to access the money and withdraw it). The whole process can take a couple of weeks or longer depending on the situation, but from everything you've mentioned it sounds as if you should be coming out of this just fine in the end.

Good luck and keep us updated.

You will get it all back, PayPal may be slow but in a dispute no funds are released until settlement of any dispute, fortunately your money is still in PayPal hands.

Thanks again for the encouragement.
Of course I know I have done everything correctly and both eBay and Paypal should have effective procedures in place to protect honest buyers and sellers, but...
One keeps hearing horror stories, like nightmares come true, that make you think whatever you do, no matter how much right you may be, if somebody tries cheating, the chances are they will be able to get away with it, because sadly crime pays...

So thanks to all who said from more or less direct experience that everything should end up well.

Simone

Here is the last update to my troubles...

Thanks all for supporting me and giving me good advice.
Exactly 10 from my purchase, today Paypal has returned my money.
Basically I did not have to do anything. eBay and Paypal did everything: they initiated the process and they concluded it swiftly.

This has left me very pleasantly and positively surprised.
I found first hand that the buyers protection on eBay seems to work and after this episode I think it is safe enough to continue purchasing on eBay - provided you keep your eyes open and most importantly do everything as eBay recommends, in order to be covered by their protection!

Simone

I would definitely file both places, ebay as non receipt of goods, and paypal as non receipt of ebay goods, and I'd call Paypal every day or so, inquiring as to exact status, Stay on them.

That's great news. Both ebay and paypal came through for me in the past too when a seller refused to respond to e-mails and not send shipment. It was only a 30 dollar item, but glad to see their policy stands even for a 2k item.

If you haven't, you should send them a quick thank you letter.

Here is the last update to my troubles...

Thanks all for supporting me and giving me good advice.
Exactly 10 from my purchase, today Paypal has returned my money.
Basically I did not have to do anything. eBay and Paypal did everything: they initiated the process and they concluded it swiftly.

This has left me very pleasantly and positively surprised.
I found first hand that the buyers protection on eBay seems to work and after this episode I think it is safe enough to continue purchasing on eBay - provided you keep your eyes open and most importantly do everything as eBay recommends, in order to be covered by their protection!

Simone

I had almost the exact same experience here in Australia a week ago. I found a listing from a power seller on ebay, selling a bulk amount of new D700's acquired from a photography shop liquidating stock. In hindsight, I new there was something wrong with the package, as the new body was $1000 cheaper than in stores.

As in the OP's case, I received a message from ebay saying that the listing had been cancelled and the seller's account suspended. Long story short, Paypal recovered all of the funds within a day or two of escalating the dispute to a claim. Considering you followed the correct payment procedures, you should be fine.

Good luck!

EDIT: Just read the above posts :p Glad that everything worked out for you :)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom