1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Help with finding a part....

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Butlerkid, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I seem to have lost the battery door to my SB800. I have the 5th battery extension piece.....that's the good news.

But I am unable to find the "regular" battery door to use when only using 4 batteries. The only listing that comes up on an internet search is D&H Camera. I have ordered the part from them.....and paid for it....but two weeks later and I have no response from them nor do I have the part. UGH!

I went to the NikonUSA website and it appears the SB800 is no longer supported. At least they list no parts for it. True?

Do you think I should contact a Nikon Service Center and see they will sell me one? (In the past, APS told me they couldn't "just sell parts". I really don't want to send it in just so they can say it was a repair.....)

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Karen

2. SB800's are no longer serviced, I have 2 that need help

3. Karen,
    If you have the door for the 5th battery, it the same one used when only using 4 batteries. If you look at the manual page 64 it shows how to open the cover and gently pinch one side of the guide pins and remove diagonally. It can then be used as a four battery cover. Now if you do not have the cover for the 5th battery that creates an entirely different problem and you would need to find a replacement.

4. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks, Dave. As I said, I do have the 5th battery extension part. I never thought of that! DUH!
    As I said, the only ones I found are all sold by the same place...D&H - which is the non-responsive business with which I placed an order. Perhaps they are hoping to capitalize on the B&H name......

5. I hate to ask (or point this out), but did the SB-800 come with two doors? It's been a long time since I used one. But doesn't the fact that it's on the 5th battery holder mean someone had to take it off the flash and put it on the holder?:oops: :whistle: 

6. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Don't try to confuse me!!!! o_O  You mean I could be looking for something I didn't lose?????? UGH!
    i-HcxKWHH-Ti.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

7. I do believe that the 5th battery chamber does use the existing door. It's been a while . . . .

8. Join the club, just another suffering from CRS (can't remember s...).

9. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    It's pretty obvious I don't use the flash a lot........ And I only had unsweetened ice tea to drink this evening. Maybe THAT's the problem!

10. I believe it shipped with the cover on the 5th battery door.
    No quantity listed in the manual.
    Most users I feel would want to use the 5th battery to speed up the cycle time.
    The manual says the 5th battery door cannot be used with Nikon SK-6 or SK-6A.
    I do not know anyone who uses either one of those.

11. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks. I went to a lot of trouble to find and buy an SK-6 (or 6A) but have never used it.

I'm going to Costa Rica again in May. Last time I took the flash and NEVER used it. Really wondering about carrying it and the batteries again when I already have too much weight to haul around!

12. I checked mine, and lo and behold it does come with its own door. Sane part number too.

13. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    So I should have 2 doors but I only have one. As long as the one works either place, I'm golden!

14. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I have the same issue, I've got several SB800's and over the years the battery doors have walked away. They are somewhere in the area, short legs, they can't have gotten too far.....
    I dropped one about a year ago and found out then that Nikon was no longer supporting the SB800. Parts are still out there, I needed the foot replace and APS said they had the part....but....$375! to replace it. I bought a used one in EX condition for $275. Just sayin'!
    I never use the 4 battery set-up, I always use the 5th one. Performance gain is well worth the small price in weight.

15. :shy: 

16. See CRS.

17. Karen,
    Forgive me if I'm off-base because I don't have a flash for my D3 bodies, but I just checked ebay under "SB 800 parts" and found a number of listings for "lid door battery cover" which is what I assume you are looking for. Most come from China and range in price between about $6.00 and $20.00.
    Additionally, there are a number of SB 800 flashes being sold for parts (which are more expensive), but again if you like the flash and so need the part, might be worthwhile exploring.
    I hope this information is helpful.
    Robert

18. That could be the source of innumerable problems...and I'm not thinking that adding sweetener is the solution. :ROFLMAO: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.