Help with fogged lens picture

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Pa, Jun 30, 2005.

1. My wife got a snapshot today of my grandson catching his first fish - a moment to remember. Unfortunately, she had just come from an air-conditioned house into the heat of midafternoon in Alabama, and the lens was apparently fogged. The image looks overexposed, but I'm sure it was just fog on the lens.

My question is, can the image be saved in Photoshop? I know you can't create data where there is none, but what is the best way to maximize what we do have?

She was using our little Nikon 4300, so it is a 4MP jpeg.

I'm ashamed to post the picture - it's that bad.

Any suggestions?

2. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    If you have Nikon Capture or the free Nikon View, you can try to see if the auto color and auto contrast can fix it a bit.

It should still work on JPEGs.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Well Pa, you could make it an 'art print'. Let's see it and maybe some of us will give it a go...

4. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Pa,
    We all make mistakes and sometimes the only recourse is PP. I'm with Chris -- post the image and let us see what we can do. You just might be responsible for adding another tool to the toolbox. [When life gives you lemons......]

5. marc

marc Guest

pa

probably not, if blurry fogged, really poor

nc and acr can fix only what is already there

sorry

6. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005

I live in FL and the solution to the foggy lens deal for me is using an insulated cooler bag for camera and lenses. It solves my problem.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Please forgive my slow response to all your kind suggestions, but I've been in the backwoods of central Alabama for the last few days at a family reunion (will post some pictures later), with no internet access.

Here is the picture. I warned you it was bad!

Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

9. Solution: take him fishing again! *LOL*

10. Well, of course I did, and he caught some more, and we got some good pictures. But this was the FIRST and the BIGGEST.

11. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Pa,
    A couple of applications of the local contrast enhancement technique suggested by Paul will help considerably. After that, you might want to try using a mask to selectively adjust saturation and brightness levels. This should bring the image "out of the fog". You should be able to do much better with the original image -- the 72dpi one that you posted begins to lose out for lack of information at this point. I don't know what you might be able to do with the faces -- it'd be nice to get the expression on the boy's face. [I remember my granddaughter's first fish better than she does.]
    Next time......

Forgot to mention that Paul's settings are good for light haze, but this image requires a more aggressive approach -- I set the amount for 100% and still had to repeat the process. (If you have problems and want me to try with the original, email it to me.)

12. Pa:

I know that I am no expert but I got the best results from changing it to greyscale and adjusting the contrast, brightness, and playing with the histogram.

13. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    here is my attempt, and this a quick and dirty haze removal, and I didn't spend time cleaning up the sky or area around the subjects. found this to look best in a quadtone greyscale.

[​IMG]

14. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Pa,

This is my quick and dirty try. I used NC and adjusted curves to get more contrast (moved the left slider to the right where the histogram starts, and the right to the left to enhance highlights). Then I used "Photo Effects" Auto button, with enhance dark tone on. Afterwards I moved the mid slider on the curves to +30 to brighten the midtones, which were very dark after the Photo Effects adjustment.
    Next step I used NeatImage to clean up some of the noise and haze (there are probably better filters than the one I used).

If the original is a RAW file, you can do much better. Also, within PS you would be able to remove the color casts around yourself and the boy and enhance the faces individually (I don't have PS on my laptop, where I'm sitting at).

Hope it gives some useful clues. And here the results:

15. Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions. I intend to have another go at it in PS tonight.

16. here's a try

I know you've already had a bunch of suggestions, but I thought I'd throw in my own too. Here's what I came up with:

original.

I didn't spend too much time tweaking it. I just wanted to see if it could be saved. I switched to lab color and tweaked the levels for the lightness field. Then I switched back to rgb and ran an overall unsharp mask with a ridiculous radius for an overal contrast fix. The right hand side still looks a little hazy because I threw a gradient in there, but I guess it wasn't really needed/helpfull. You can obviously see the compression artifacts after all of this manipulation, but I'm sure the results will be much more pleasing when working on the original. Good luck. I'm sure we'd all like to see how it comes out in the end.

Dave

17. Thanks for your efforts, but I can't see an image.

Posted later: Now I can.

18. Hi Pa,

If you have PS, you could try increasing the density first but creating a duplicate layer (Ctrl-J) and changing the blending mode from "Normal" to "Multiply". Then apply all the other techniques (haze removal with large radius USM, noise removal, adjusting levels, curves, etc...)