Help with folders: Icloud vs. Hard drive

So I have been using Macs at work for years, but I never had one myself till 6 months ago or so. I started setting up my new Macbook Pro 16 the way I have my PC, or at least, I though I was. I will try to explain my issue as simply as I can, including a screen shot at the end.

On PC, I like to have a folder in My Documents called Pictures, and in Pictures, I have folders for years and other projects. I did that on this Macbook, and I thought I was putting all my pictures from external hard drive onto my Mac's HD. When I have new photos, I typically make folders in finder, and then I add raw files to it, then I import them into Lightroom. Occasionally, alternatively, I will make a new folder in Lightroom while importing.

Well, it turns out, the folders I thought I made in Finder, in the pictures folder, on my hard drive, were actually in ICloud, and the folders I made in Lightroom were in a completely different "pictures" folder that was indeed on my hard drive. Once I discovered this, I was going to consolidate them but when I went to move the folders in the pictures folder I made, it said "are you sure you want to remove this folder from the ICloud drive?

I guess that is a long way to get to my question: Is there any reason I would NOT want to just keep using ICloud drive instead of the local HD? Should I move my pictures from the cloud to the local, or from the local to the cloud?

Here is a screenshot showing both pictures folders.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 10.01.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 10.01.41 AM.png
    185.2 KB · Views: 42
iCloud is a cloud storage in the mac universe. Like One drive on Microsoft.
In other words, it doesn't come for free. Depending on the volume of data of image files you want to keep in there.
Just as One drive, the idea is to have your folder(s) synchronised with the on-line storage as a cloud back-up.
Again depending on the volume on your hard drive, you can have extra folders on-line that are not synchronized with you local hard drive.
At work, we each have a 1 GB One drive and I have the My documents folder synchronised there. This is Word, Excel, PDF and PPT.
Next to that, I have a big folder in One drive where I keep all sorts of documentation for work. Everything togethers stays well under 1 GB.
When you want to go over 1 GB, that isn't cheap.
I never looked into the prices for iCloud storage because, at home, I use a raid system for backup that in its turn is synchronised with Dropbox.
That's more in the measure of TB's :) It also has a far more robust system of synchronising.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I use 3 internal HDs for originals and back up to external HD's. I'll never trust - nor pay -any "cloud" for my backups and certainly not for my originals.

iCloud really is more for syncing one's various files on various devices, so that it is easy enough to have, say, two computers and an iPhone and a couple of iPads and they all have the same websites bookmarked, or so that those who choose to do so can take photos on their iPhone and the photos are immediately sent to iCloud and then can be seen by the other devices. It is not actually intended as a backup, although some people do use it in that way. I prefer to handle and back up all of my files locally, so that I use external SSDs and a couple of large-capacity HDDs for that purpose. I like having iCloud for syncing my bookmarks -- that's a real convenience -- and for mail, and such, but I don't use it as a mechanism for backing up and storing my image files or any other files. I do not want documents which may be of a personal nature in iCloud, either, so do not have my documents automatically shipped to iCloud. They remain right here at home, where I have control of them and of who sees them.

Thanks for the replies. I pay for Icloud already because of all of our ipads and my iphone. I feel it's cheap insurance for the photos we take with those devices. (I would never trust myself to plug them in each night to back them up to a physical drive as Karen does)

I guess I just didn't even realize that I wasn't putting those image folders onto my actual hard drive when I copied them.

When you first start up a new Mac, there is some kind of option, I forget how it is worded, offering to put your files and folders into iCloud, including document files. I think that box is ticked by default. If you don't want that, then it is necessary to untick the box. In Settings, later, you can specify exactly what you do and do not want to include in iCloud.

As for the few images I shoot with my iPhone, any that I want to do something further with, I simply air-drop to the computer and take care of it then. Many of them, of course, I don't bother processing beyond whatever the initial shot was, since they're all jpeg anyway. Periodically I plug in the iPhone to the computer, go into Image Capture and download the entire bunch into the computer, clearing my iPhone for new images as I go along. When I get around to it, I look through the images that I'd downloaded, delete any in which I'm not interested in keeping, and stash the rest in backup the next time I do a backup.

FWIW my iCloud 200G storage plan is only $2.99/month and 2 TB plan is only $9.99. Storage is cheap, at least through Apple.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
On the subject of Cloud Storage.... well storage in general.

My 5yo MBP has only a 512 SSD, so I have 4x 1tB Western Digital external drives, and 3x 5tB LaCies. My process is all new images get copied from XQD to LaCie One, which immediately gets duplicated to LaCie Two (and verified) before reformatting the card.

Then I import into Lightroom, go through my processing, then the finished images are filed on one of the WDs depending on Client/subject. At the same time those finished images go to the third LaCie which is my ‘Dropbox Disk’ so the images get copied to this HDD which is auto-synced to to my Dropbox Cloud Account.

So the RAWs are on two seperate HDDs, the finished images are (1) delivered to the client, (2) backed up on a ‘Finished Images’ HDD, (3) Backed up on another HDD called ‘Dropbox’ and (4) Sitting on the cloud. I think I’ve done the redundancy thing...

Oh, and my personal/family images get copied every six months or so to yet another 1tB Transcend portable drive that sits in my daughters apartment on the other side of town.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
One thing to consider with any "cloud" drive. It is one copy. If you delete something accidentally, it really is deleted. There is no recovery, no time machine machine backup, nothing.

I use local storage for permanent storage and backups, and I keep one copy at my office for off-site storage.

I use iCloud for temporary files I share across devices. iCloud Photos Library and iCloud Music Library are the exception. They are so integrated into their apps and the Apple ecosystem that it just makes life easier across a multitude of devices, and when you replace an older device with a newer one.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
Another thing about my redundancy paranoia: When I’m on the road, every evening I copy the day’s RAWs to my iPad Pro which is synced to my Dropbox Cloud. Once the iPad (512) is full I start overwriting if necessary. But always clear the iPad before the next project. This way, if a card should get corrupted while in the field I have a backup on the iPad and another up there in the stratocumulus. They tell me my XQDs are bulletproof. And I’m sure that’s true. But I’m a skeptic.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom