Help with fringing

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by DaveKiddle, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Hi all, I'm new to PP and need some help.

I tried to PP this RAW shot by increasing the saturation of the blue sky and yellow sunflower in Lightroom but have ended up with a sort of halo effect around the sunflower.

Whats the best way to increase the colours without getting this fringing in Lightroom?

[​IMG]

Here's the original:

[​IMG]

Thanks

PS I also have Elements 5 if thats any easier! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  2. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Dave,

Greetings. Your images show up as a lock with "Content Protected by Owner".

Cheers,

-Yamo-

3. Thanks Yamo.

Does it work now?

4. Nope...still locked.

5. Can you see the images?

How about now?

6. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Dave,

Greetings. I can see the pictures now. To my eye, it looks as though the "fringing" is present in the original but is more visible in the more saturated version because of the greater color contrast. I can't see distinct fringing on a number of the flower petals but see the most on those petals which are blurred in the original. This makes me think the fringing is actually motion blur (perhaps, the wind was blowing a little that day?).

Normally, in Lightroom under develop I would recommend Recovery adjustment to help with the highlights (they seem blown) but this can add a fringe of sorts. I haven't noticed either boosting saturation or individual hues under the HSL controls causing edge problems.

Looks to me like the problem is in the original image, but accentuated with the saturation boost, I'd try fixing it with selective PS techniques.

By the way, is that a huge bug in the middle of the sunflower?

Cheers,

-Yamo-