Help with group photo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sbutchin, Oct 22, 2005.

1. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    I was asked to do a large group photo - appx. 125-200 people - can anyone give me some advice - thanks - and what type of lens?

2. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Well, I haven't done such pictures yet, but for what it's worth, here is what I would try to do:

You need to get the attention of the people. I'd get someone stand next to you with either a sign saying "Cheese" or anything that would attract these guys (one time a guy standing next to the camera told a good joke, that really worked wonders). They all have to look at this sign (or the person next to you), otherwise some people will be hidden by others.

I have been standing quite often in such group photos, but they were usually done with a special panorama camera. The most difficult part for the photographer was always to get the attention of everybody. Make sure that everything is set up before you have the people gather for the shot. Most people won't have the patience to wait until things are ready and then to smile into the camera for several shots.

Of course, you'll probably need a couple of shots so you can pick the one which shows most of them (I wouldn't expect to see all of the people).

There was another thread on that on this forum with valuable tips, so try a search here.

Good luck!