Help with Hurrican Katrina

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragonflydm, Sep 2, 2005.

1. I am setting up a website www.photos4humanity.com. In response to what has happened with hurricane katrina and the long long term effects, I am doing what I can to help.

I have set up a site www.photos4humanity.com and I am looking for some of the great photographers to donate some of their work for sale on the site. All proceeds will go directly to the Red Cross relief fund and no one that works on the site will ever see a penny because the printers will handle the actual print transaction sale and sending the cash.

All that photos4humanity will be doing is promoting the site, collecting releases and photo donations for the cause and trying to do something good.

I am not accepting donations for the actual maintenance of the site, just yet, because I don't want to accept any cash for something that isn't up and running full time with a good idea of the costs...but we have already gotten the host www.dreamhost.com to cut us a great deal to get started.

So Ia m looking for feedback, comments and suggestions. I also need volunteers to help donate images and I figured my forum buddy's do shoot some pretty amazing pics, and are decent good-hearted Americans.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Moved to general discussion.

Let us know when this is up and running.

I'll do what I can.

Thanks,

3. Hi Josh,

I'm not a very good photographer but I would like to contribute. If you (and others cafe members) can help me to determine what pictures can be sell, I'm happy to do my contribution.

My site on PBASE is : www.pbase.com/daliakin

Just tell me what pictures are needed and I will post the better resolution copies to your site.

Appreciates your effort for a humanitarian cause.

Regards.

4. Ditto

www.pbase.com/roryhill

5. Me too. I have some (if I say so myself) nice shots from Tuscany. Friends and acquaintences have actually paid me money for them. I also have a lot of shots from Ireland, which is also popular.

Rich

6. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Josh -
    This is a wonderful idea, and I wish you great success. I'm in the advanced learning stage, but some of my shots might be saleable, although I would have no idea about price. Perhaps your printer could help with that. Do you want to browse through www.pbase.com/glarge, or would you prefer I pick some of my favorites and send low res JPEGs for you to look at?

Gordon

7. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    I would like to participate too but I am not a professional. It is difficult for me as an amateur to decide which ones have potential.

Can we start a thread where we can post pictures which we think have potential? The pros out here can then evaluate the pictures and then contact the photographer for submission. Would this work?

Please advise.

Edit : My gallery is http://jayr.smugmug.com
    Thanks.

8. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    Josh,
    I just got internet access today borrowing from a neighbor. I still have no phone cable or internet at the house. Digital telephone stinks in a power outage. We were lucky and got power back at midnight on monday.

I wanted to say thanks for the support. I live just east of baton rouge, la. We got lucky and only lost a few shingles. My parents got power 20min after getting home with a generator that I was able to get for them. So we shipped it off to my grandmother who might get power back in 2 months. We are making a supply run today to bring food and gas.

We only watch news for the pictures and stopped listening to the radio because of all of the doom and gloom that they are reporting. It seems like the radio people blow everything out of proportion and keep reporting on everything that might happen or false rumors.

The devistation that New Orleans suffered is great. Biloxi, Gulf Port, Alabama also got hit very hard as well as the parishes north of New Orleans.

I'll check back in later and thanks again for the support and prayers.
    Larry

9. Thanks

I appreciate all the support. We have gotten a great deal on webspace from www.dreamhost.com, www.printroom.com is waiving the set up fees and will be sending the profits of all photography directly to the Red Cross, we have been given a great program for image uploads by www.aurigama.com.

All we need now are photos and a web designer that understands server-side programming (on PHP, ASP, ASP.NET, Perl or whatever else you are using as a server environment).

I am hoping to have www.photos4humanity.com officially up by 7 September.

If there was more I could do I would...but as it is..I have already started booking corporate portraits with the images sold through photos4humanity so that the profits will all go to the red cross. Anyone that signs up is free to do the same.

I know that there are immoral people out there-- and some people are always suspicious-- and this is the beauty of the site. No one that works the site ever sees any money. PRINTROOM will be sending all the checks directly to the Red Cross and there is no possibility to have anyone "tempted." This should put a lot of clients at ease who want to shop for images or hire you for their portraits donated.

10. We have a temp site up for www.photos4humanity.com.

We had to make some changes to get the site up quickly. One was to let the webdesigners more time to design the site with the uploads and such. This meant that printroom.com was going to have to be put on hold as well as well as the image uploader from Aurigama.

So SMUGMUG www.smugmug.com) came the rescue. They have totally donated an account for us and is doing the same deal as printroom.com (all profits after the cost of printing will go directly to the American Red Cross).

So we have a site up enough at the moment to start accepting donations for images.

What we require--
    1. Hi-res image able to print at 8x10, 11x14, 16x20, and 30x20
    2. Suggested sale price of the image
    3. Whatever you want on the copyright and description listed.
    4. A photographers bio for the featurephotographers section.

If you have any questions, post them here so I can answer them for everyone.

One point I would like to prempt-- yes, you can donate money today, but these people will need help for months and years to come. Far beyond the initial influx of cash dries up and CNN/FOX News moves on to the next big news story.

This project is for long term help. While the energy is up, we can get alot accomplished and the momentum should carry us through the start up and promotion phase to get this site really established for continual assistance to those that need it.

11. We are nearly complete with the site... with very very few tweaks the site will be ready to go on Friday and those that have expressed interested in donating photos...can contact me at hudson@journlaist.com

www.photos4humanity.com

12. jb007

jb007 Guest

Can you say what size in pixels you like or prefer for your site, as you specify a range of sizes so I'm confused but would be happy to help and may be able to talk to a friend into sending his pics as mine aren't very good yet.

13. The size would be 4300x 2880 pixels or 8x10 300 dpi, would be the sizes needed.

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

15. The website will be officially open tomorrw.

We are now an official third party charity with the Red Cross. Photographers that want to donate images will need to contact me directly at hudson@journalist.com and we will set you up accounts.

I want to thank everyone that has been supportive of the project and please spread the word and put links up on your websites, and lets do some good.

PHOTOGRAPHERS OF THE WORLD UNITE!!