Help with hyperfocal distance please

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by gaperklake, Jul 31, 2007.

1. gaperklake

gaperklake

Mar 27, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Hello everyone,

I just returned from some wonderful hiking in the Sierra's where I took a lot of pictures with my D200 -- many panoramic landscapes that included the nearly sunset sky.

Whenever I focused using a hyperfocal distance I blew out the sky. When I exposed for the light using the AE/AF lock button, I was, of course, no longer at a hyperfocal distance, but got great sky. I was shooting in A mode.

How do you accommodate both -- or compromise? Can I manually set the hyperfocal distance on my lense and then expose for the light pressing the AE/AF lock and expect the shot to be focused? (I didn't try this -- just thought of it.)

Thank you so much for your great help...

Guy -- Still new at this...

2. hkgharry

hkgharry

Apr 1, 2007
    Hong Kong
    There are many ways to do this. I normally use the AF-ON button for focusing so I can just focus on the hyperfocal distance, let go of the button, then proceed to get whatever exposure is desired, either automatically in A-mode or manually in M-mode. You could also simply flip the switch to put your camera in manual focus mode once you have the focus you want, or just manually focus, etc.

3. I typically manual focus to hyperfocal and use manual exposure especially when I'm doing panoramas

4. gaperklake

gaperklake

Mar 27, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Hello hkgharry and chinesestunna,

Thank you both for your responses... and for sharing! They were very, very helpful.

Good luck and cheers,

Guy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.