Help with Indoor Photography

Every Saturday morning I walk into my son's karate class anxious to get a good action shot, but never seem to get one with my D70. I try shooting in Automatic with the Flash, but I only get maybe 1 good shot our of 100. The action shots are out of focus. His karate class is indoors, and the flourecent light is pretty good. Any ideas on some settings I should try indoors?

Thought so. You do need a shoe mount flash to get better and consistent results for that type work. I can't make a recommendation based on good for the money since I just don't know. Someone here with a D70 will advise sooner or later.

Bryan,

I have an SB-800 if you want to give it a try. It's a wonderful unit and supports the iTTL system also supported by the D70.

Frank

YES!! It will be interesting to see the difference in picture quality between no flash, flash, different setting with flash and w/o in his karate session.

The problem with your shots is that the internal flash doesn't put out enough light to provide primary illumination at distances beyond 6 feet.

One solution is to use a faster lens, like the 50mm f/1.8, which sells for around $100. Use it at f/2.8, pump up the ISO to 800, set the white balance for flourescent, and you should be able to get shutter speeds that will allow you to freeze the action.

The other route is to buy an external flash. The d70 and d2h are endowed with an amazing flash system that Nikon calls CLS, but that only works with a Nikon Speedlight SB800 or SB600.

I have Cut/Pasted this message in my memory banks. Thanks for the info on camera settings and which lens to try. For that price.......I might just have to add another lens to my small but growing collection.

gho

UncleFrank said:
The problem with your shots is that the internal flash doesn't put out enough light to provide primary illumination at distances beyond 6 feet....

...The other route is to buy an external flash. The d70 and d2h are endowed with an amazing flash system that Nikon calls CLS, but that only works with a Nikon Speedlight SB800 or SB600.
To clarify what UF's saying. Mount the flash unit close to the action. Go sit where ever you want, set your internal flash as 'commander' and use it to trigger the sb800. Bang. There ya go.

1 other note about internal flash

When you leave it on it's default setting or iTTL, it will onlly give you a max of 1/60th sec shutter. But, if you place the flash on Manual, you can get it to fire no matter what your shutter speed, ie, independant of shutter speed. You then need to get you shutter speed up via your lens choice, ISO setting, aperture. Try it, you can select as low as 1/16th power on up to full power. You would need to experiment with flash power to get the amt you want for a given distance. Just a thought, in lieu of buying an external unit.

gho

Re: 1 other note about internal flash

Steve S said:
When you leave it on it's default setting or iTTL, it will onlly give you a max of 1/60th sec shutter.
Huh? I haven't experienced this. I shoot with the flash in iTTL mode all the time with both my d2h and d70 at higher than 1/60.

Check the EXIF - D70:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D2h:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Were these with the built-in flash, Greg?

That's what I was suggesting. If so, then please, tell me how you do it!

gho

I didn't know there was a limitation. I just put my flash in [TTL] or [TTL][BL] mode, dial in my aperture and shutter speed and works like a champ.

The later mode [TTL][Bl] works great outdoors on bright sunny days on the D70, as I can dial in just about any shutter speed and use the SB800 for fill.

Everthing is pretty much default as far as I know.

So, did you use the built-in flash on the aquarium shot?

If this is the case, then you say if you put the camera in Manual mode, you can dial in whatever shutter speed and aperture you want, and the built-in flash will still fire on iTTL?
The reason for pressing this issue is that I'm trying to help PhotoDawg get shots of his kid doing Karate with the equipment he has already, and that doesn't include a Hotshoe flash.

gho

Re: So, did you use the built-in flash on the aquarium shot?

Steve S said:
If this is the case, then you say if you put the camera in Manual mode, you can dial in whatever shutter speed and aperture you want, and the built-in flash will still fire on iTTL?
The reason for pressing this issue is that I'm trying to help PhotoDawg get shots of his kid doing Karate with the equipment he has already, and that doesn't include a Hotshoe flash.
You're not pressing. I think I misunderstood you. I was referring to the SB800 - since I thought that was what was being discussed. My bad. I'm not sure about the built in flash - I really don't use it, except maybe in commander mode.

Re: So, did you use the built-in flash on the aquarium shot?

Steve S said:
If this is the case, then you say if you put the camera in Manual mode, you can dial in whatever shutter speed and aperture you want, and the built-in flash will still fire on iTTL?.
If you're talking about the d70, the above statement is true. The limitation is, you will be unable to select a shutter speed faster than 1/500. As far as the longest shutter speed is concerned, the default is 1/60, but you can change that to a longer interval in the set-up menu.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom