Help with Indoor Photography

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhotoDawg, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Every Saturday morning I walk into my son's karate class anxious to get a good action shot, but never seem to get one with my D70. I try shooting in Automatic with the Flash, but I only get maybe 1 good shot our of 100. The action shots are out of focus. His karate class is indoors, and the flourecent light is pretty good. Any ideas on some settings I should try indoors?

2. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    #1 question. What flash? Built in or shoe mount?

3. Built in flash.......I do not have a boot, but it is on my list of things to buy. Any suggestions on a good boot flash for the money?

4. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Thought so. You do need a shoe mount flash to get better and consistent results for that type work. I can't make a recommendation based on good for the money since I just don't know. Someone here with a D70 will advise sooner or later.

5. Larry,

Thanks for the input. I will nose around the Sale forum for a flash.

Bryan

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bryan,

I have an SB-800 if you want to give it a try. It's a wonderful unit and supports the iTTL system also supported by the D70.

Frank

7. YES!! It will be interesting to see the difference in picture quality between no flash, flash, different setting with flash and w/o in his karate session.

8. The SB800 is a great flash with the most advanced features. The D70 can take advantage of iTTL which will help you to get the subject and background exposures proper. Give it a try.

9. The problem with your shots is that the internal flash doesn't put out enough light to provide primary illumination at distances beyond 6 feet.

One solution is to use a faster lens, like the 50mm f/1.8, which sells for around $100. Use it at f/2.8, pump up the ISO to 800, set the white balance for flourescent, and you should be able to get shutter speeds that will allow you to freeze the action.

The other route is to buy an external flash. The d70 and d2h are endowed with an amazing flash system that Nikon calls CLS, but that only works with a Nikon Speedlight SB800 or SB600.

10. I have Cut/Pasted this message in my memory banks. Thanks for the info on camera settings and which lens to try. For that price.......I might just have to add another lens to my small but growing collection.

11. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    To clarify what UF's saying. Mount the flash unit close to the action. Go sit where ever you want, set your internal flash as 'commander' and use it to trigger the sb800. Bang. There ya go.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    1 other note about internal flash

When you leave it on it's default setting or iTTL, it will onlly give you a max of 1/60th sec shutter. But, if you place the flash on Manual, you can get it to fire no matter what your shutter speed, ie, independant of shutter speed. You then need to get you shutter speed up via your lens choice, ISO setting, aperture. Try it, you can select as low as 1/16th power on up to full power. You would need to experiment with flash power to get the amt you want for a given distance. Just a thought, in lieu of buying an external unit.

13. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Re: 1 other note about internal flash

Huh? I haven't experienced this. I shoot with the flash in iTTL mode all the time with both my d2h and d70 at higher than 1/60.

Check the EXIF - D70:
    [​IMG]

D2h:
    [​IMG]

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Were these with the built-in flash, Greg?

That's what I was suggesting. If so, then please, tell me how you do it!

15. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I didn't know there was a limitation. I just put my flash in [TTL] or [TTL][BL] mode, dial in my aperture and shutter speed and works like a champ.

The later mode [TTL][Bl] works great outdoors on bright sunny days on the D70, as I can dial in just about any shutter speed and use the SB800 for fill.

Everthing is pretty much default as far as I know.

16. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    So, did you use the built-in flash on the aquarium shot?

If this is the case, then you say if you put the camera in Manual mode, you can dial in whatever shutter speed and aperture you want, and the built-in flash will still fire on iTTL?
    The reason for pressing this issue is that I'm trying to help PhotoDawg get shots of his kid doing Karate with the equipment he has already, and that doesn't include a Hotshoe flash.

17. Yes

Currently, I do not have a hotshoe. I will be trying a variety of ways based on the info from Steve with my buit in D70 flash and the hotshoe flash that I borrowed from flew for the weekend. See topic.....

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=631

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  18. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Re: So, did you use the built-in flash on the aquarium shot?

You're not pressing. I think I misunderstood you. I was referring to the SB800 - since I thought that was what was being discussed. My bad. I'm not sure about the built in flash - I really don't use it, except maybe in commander mode.

19. Re: So, did you use the built-in flash on the aquarium shot?

If you're talking about the d70, the above statement is true. The limitation is, you will be unable to select a shutter speed faster than 1/500. As far as the longest shutter speed is concerned, the default is 1/60, but you can change that to a longer interval in the set-up menu.