help with lens advice

I use a D7000 and have the following lenses: 18-105, 35mm, 50mm, and 105.
I am traveling to Paris in a couple of weeks for a week long vacation. I am spending the entire week in Paris, in museums, cafes, exploring neighborhoods, churches, and other typical sites (A certain tower, for instance).
What lenses would you suggest i take? SHould i use the 18-105 or purchase something else that is better, faster, sharper? SHould i use my 35mm mostly, or purchase something else? What would you do?
I don't want to carry a lot around with me.
thanks for the advice

I would pick up a Tamron 17-50 and/or a Sigma 10-20.

I took those lenses, along with a Sigma 30 1.4 and 70-300VR on my last vacation. I used the two Sigmas and the Tamron exclusively. The 70-300 never came out of the bag. When I go again in a couple months, I'll take the 75-150E as a small tele option.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
If you want to save $$$, I would take your 18-105 and the 35 for low light when you're shooting indoors (like Notre Dame).

Paris is a wonderful place. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Happy travels!

Was in Paris recently and my most used lenses were my 24mm f2.8D and the 35mm f1.8G.
I also took a Sigma 17-50 but I found it too heavy to carry all the time, that said the 17mm was wide enough for me.

Only regret is not having anything longer than 50mm, particularly for up the Eiffel Tower and the Tour Montparnesse, the 50mm was ok but I think I'd have preferred even the 85mm.

UWA like the Tokina 11-16 or Sigma 10-20 might be a good shout although personally the 17mm end of the Sigma did for me.

My next trip (Italy in August) I'm again ideally looking at an all prime lineup of 20 2.8, 35 1.8 and the 85 1.5 but I might give the Sigma another go, that along with the 85 would be a decent kit maybe with the 35 as well for low light.

I also had a d7000 when I was in Paris last summer and really found the 11-16 useful because it allowed nice wide angles inside some of the churches, etc. and the 2.8 was very helpful.

I would take ur 18-105 for day to day walking around in good light outdoors etc. as that will cover all ur needs!

Inside the 35mm 1.8 will will be great for the 1.8 but for my style i would find that not wide enough. I would say a wide angle tokina 11-16 paired with the 18-105 would take care of all ur needs for focal length and speed.

Since then I have bought the nikon 17-55 2.8 and if i was to go back i would take the 17-55 and thats it.

I agree with Chrism_Scotland. A UWA would be lovely to have in Paris. The architecture is awesome, and you'll want to get all of in one frame. The Tokina 11-16mm is a terrific lens. I owned it and loved it. I only sold it to help finance my 17-35 f/2.8.
Your 18-105mm, a 11-16, your 35mm with a Speedlight is all I would take.

I'm a little green with envy about your trip. I'd love to get back to France it's been 3 yrs. since my last trip. I love it. Bon voyage! :)

or purchase something else? What would you do?

Your problem is right there. If you're not sure what to get/use, don't buy, but rent. You can always buy later. It's not like renting is so hard these days with lensrentals.com and borrowlenses.com

Thanks, i am going to rent the tokina 11-16. In a couple of weeks, i will be in paris, enjoying myself and my d7000

Tokina 11-16 is a good shout, cracker of a lens, I sold mine just before Paris to fund my Sigma 17-50 (which got little use!).

I'm planning on picking one up for my Italy trip later in the year..... if I haven't bought a D600 by then.....

The wider, faster primes could work indoors, but for me, the 105 would not be long enough for outdoor use.
You could pick up a used 70-300 f4.5/5.6 for under $400, or maybe the 18-200 as a walk-around lens and not even take the 18 to 105.

The wider, faster primes could work indoors, but for me, the 105 would not be long enough for outdoor use.
You could pick up a used 70-300 f4.5/5.6 for under $400, or maybe the 18-200 as a walk-around lens and not even take the 18 to 105.

I have to agree I felt that I missed something longer when I was up the Eiffel Tower and Tour Montparnasse, I think I'd have been happy enough with an 85mm prime (hence me looking at one for my Italy Trip) but the 70-300 VR is hard to beat for the price and if I went back to Paris a longer telephoto is something I'd take.

Paris is a great place for a walk and a camera. The Tokina will serve you well. With your 18-105 and 35, you'll be set for anything the city throws at you.

However, I've found that photos from the top of the eifel tower tend to be a bit boring. It's difficult to deal with the haze and the picture pales in comparison to the real deal. However, from the BOTTOM of the tower, with your 11-16, you should be able to get some VERY dramatic shots, especially at night if you have a tripod.

Here's a link to my Paris set on Flickr from about 3 years ago.

Don't forget to forget about everything in life for a while and just sit at a cafe and pump yourself full of cafe au lait and watch the world go by!

Paris is a great place for a walk and a camera. The Tokina will serve you well. With your 18-105 and 35, you'll be set for anything the city throws at you.

However, I've found that photos from the top of the eifel tower tend to be a bit boring. It's difficult to deal with the haze and the picture pales in comparison to the real deal. However, from the BOTTOM of the tower, with your 11-16, you should be able to get some VERY dramatic shots, especially at night if you have a tripod.

Here's a link to my Paris set on Flickr from about 3 years ago.

Don't forget to forget about everything in life for a while and just sit at a cafe and pump yourself full of cafe au lait and watch the world go by!

The Haze was an issue with shots I took from the top of the Tour Montparnasse, up the Eiffel Tower at night though was spectacular, if only I'd had a longer fast lens (85 f1.8) I would have been happier with my pics!

I do agree though from the bottom you can get some different shots with a wide angle.

NOW THAT my Paris trip is getting closer, i have selected my 18-105, 35, and will rent the Tokina 11-15. Was considering Nikon 10-24 but that wasn't recommended by anyone on this forum!
I am leaving home a fast 50 1.8 and my 105 micro. The latter lens is just too heavy to carry all day.
Anyone else want to advise me, please feel free to do so. thanks everyone!

NOW THAT my Paris trip is getting closer, i have selected my 18-105, 35, and will rent the Tokina 11-15. Was considering Nikon 10-24 but that wasn't recommended by anyone on this forum!
I am leaving home a fast 50 1.8 and my 105 micro. The latter lens is just too heavy to carry all day.
Anyone else want to advise me, please feel free to do so. thanks everyone!

You have a good setup for your Paris trip! Enjoy :smile:

I have no idea why you didn't get any recommendations for the Nikon 10-24, though. It's a great lens! I'd pick it over the Tokina 11-16 anytime, because it's wider & longer (that means fewer lens changes, which is important in Europe - you can't change lenses everywhere in busy streets!)... I've never needed the 2.8 aperture at the super wide end, I'm usually at f/8 or f/11 anyway...

Optically, you can't go wrong with any of the super wide options for DX - the Sigma 10-20, Nikon 10-24, Tokina 11-16 are all pretty competent.

Cheers

Mike

Things not to miss (in no particular order):

Outdoor cafes
Sacre Coer
Outdoor cafes
climbing Notre Dame
Outdoor cafes
Isle de la Grande Jatte
Outdoor cafes
Pere Lachaise cemetery
Outdoor cafes
Berthillon ice cream on Île Saint-Louis (worth the wait, even if the line is 2 hours long)
Outdoor cafes
Harry's New York Bar (expensive, but Hemingway and Henry Miller hung out here. Also the Bloody Mary was invented here)
Outdoor cafes
Pompidou
Outdoor Cafes

It's a great city to wander in. Pick a street and walk . . .

More to come . . .

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom