1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Help with lens selection

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Mike126, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Mike126

Mike126

Aug 14, 2008
    Herndon, Va
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and have a few questions about selecting a new lens.

I recentely entered the 20th century and bought a D80. My past experience has been shooting film (FMs) for nature/landscapes and some sports. Although, I stopped shooting for about 7 years due to family and work time commitments. Now that I'm getting back out I am realizing that things have changed somewhat.

For my next lens, I was looking at something in the range of 70-200 or 80-200. I'd prefer to stay within the Nikon line and although I'm not a pro I'd rather spend a few extra dollars and get a good quality (sharp) lens. To keep costs down, I've been looking at KEH.

Since most of my work will be around nature and landscapes and hiking is required I'm a little concerned about weight. I've been looking at the 80-200 f2.8 and since it is a 3 pound lens was a little concerned with the wieght. I'm curious as to others experiences with it for longer day hikes etc. Should I look at a slower and ligher lens?

Also, in reading some of the other threads about AF-S and AF-D lenses, it seems that the S is faster at focusing than the D. By how much? I currently have a 35-105 AF-D and while it is not too slow for me how much faster are the S lenses? All my other lenses are manual focus so I don't have much to compare to in the AF world. I'd rather not go to the DX line since I'm hoping to use this lens on my FM bodies as well.

Finally, I'm looking for used lenses and have reviewed the KEH site. They seem to have a great selection. I'm curious with how people rate them for customer service and overall quality of what they offer. Are there any other good sites for used equipment?

Thanks again for the input!

2. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    If you're looking to do landscapes, then the fast f/2.8 zooms in the 70-200 range aren't necessary, as a consumer zoom like the 55-200VR or 70-300VR will offer you the same image quality when stopped down to f/8.

AF-S lenses are generally faster, but it depends on the lens. The AF-D on the 80-200 is fairly slow compared to the AF-S versions. If you need AF-S on a budget, then the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM lens is a great lens, fast focusing and optically the same as the Nikons.

3. loudtiger

loudtiger

Sep 6, 2007
    texas
    get a 70-300. the 2.8 lenses won't help for landscape and you want to travel light.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.