Help with model headshots

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Little Cub, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Little Cub

Little Cub

Feb 13, 2007
    Vegas, baby!
    Hi Cafe,

I have just recieved an opportunity to shoot a dance model, but I am not sure how to set up :eek: Unfortunately I will be holding the shoot in my livingroom (18' 6" x 14'), with the help of my wonderful wife.
    I have 2 AB 400s, one JTL 300 with ~47" x ~18" soft box, two white umbrellas, one silver umbrella...oh...and my new D200 :)biggrin:). I am trying not to use the JTL 300 as it doesn't adjust well as far as the flashpower goes. She (the model) wants head shots, as well as "action" shots in her dance outfit.
    I have been "playing" with some setups, but I am not entirely sure how a head shot should look i.e., bright lighting, crisp shadows.
    HELP!!!
    What would be the best lighting setup for this? It could potentially bring me lots of other models. Thank you in advance for all your help!

Little Cub

2. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Little Cub,

I shot a lot of actor headshots. Typically I try to keep my lighting kinda flat for women. I think you can get away with one or 2 lights, do you have a reflector?
    Normally if I'd doing strobe lighting I will do an OctaBox camera right set at about 30 degrees set at about f8. As for fill, I will use a large reflector set up flat to the floor at about chest level.

here is my headhsot gallery, if you like any of the shots tere I can tall you how they were lit. if you have any other questions PM me and I shoot you my number and we can talk about it.

http://www.danielglenphotography.com/gallery/women/index.html

3. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Check this site:
    http://www.headshot-photography.com/

For the action shots, I use at least 1/320 s to avoid blur if it's fast action. If you do not usually shoot dance, let me know.

Stephanie

4. Little Cub

Little Cub

Feb 13, 2007
    Vegas, baby!
    Sorry for the delay...WOW! Thank you ,thank you, THANK YOU for all the info!!!

Mark, I will definately check out the other forum on ABs.

Dan, the headshots you have in your gallery are amazing! The lighting on many of them is exactly what I am looking for. I do have two reflectors. I have a white/silver and a gold/silver reflector that I can use. What a great idea to set the reflector flat with the floor, I never even considered that. I may be PM you soon. Thank you!

Stephanie, that is also some very great information! Would you set your ISO around 4-600? I have never shot dance before. I am about as "green" to dance shots as they come ;) I saw your avatar, is that a shot that you took?

Again, THANK YOU ALL for all you help and information!!!

Little Cub

5. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Little Cub, I am new too and I am pleased to help. This is a great forum, I learn a lot and get advice too :)

My avatar was one from last year's performance onstage, lighting was dim. I would love to shoot at 400 ISO but 800 and sometimes 1600 are the best I can do. If you can use a tripod depending on space, it makes a difference. When I am shooting at the back of the hall, occasionally I use the 300 VR on tripod and 70-200 handheld but my most used lens is the the 70-200, though you and I would both love the 200/2 :)

Okay, (remember that I am learning too), here are a couple galleries

Here is one performance in good light: http://stephaniespix.smugmug.com/gallery/2567564#135660224

Here's another in dim lighting:
    http://stephaniespix.smugmug.com/gallery/2355458#P-1-15

You can email or pm me for any specific info, I try a lot of different things and from my galleries, you can see that I play around with the processing, it is fun. Sometimes the kids want me to get them in a particular leap, each in a different part of the stage in same dance:) I do what I can and process to suit so they can get something to encourage them along.

Have fun!
    Stephanie

6. chris24net

chris24net Guest

Reproductions is probably the biggest printer of headshots in New York and LA. Here's a link to their directory of New York headshot photographers with a little online portfolio for each. You can see what an acting headshot typically entails.

www.reproductions.com/NYC/2006/Directory_Index.html

Some of the better ones or at least well-known and popular in the directory are:

Jeremy Folmer
    Hoebermann Studio
    Leslie Hassler
    Deborah Lopez
    Chia Messina
    Peter Hurley (not on reproductions, but peterhurley.com)

7. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
  8. Little Cub

Little Cub

Feb 13, 2007
    Vegas, baby!
    WOW!!! Thank you guys sooooo much for all your help in this matter. I will be shooting a performance next Saturday, and a head shot shoot for her is scheduled in about two weeks! So I will definately post some images for C&C! Again, thank you all for your help!!!

Little Cub