Help with multiple image placement

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Sep 16, 2005.

1. I need to place a series of images on a single page. Is there a simple way of doing this without struggling with Photoshop cutting and pasting?

Thanks,
    Rich

2. I have done this using the "Contact Sheet II..." script in the automation menu. I select the images in Bridge, then use that item in the Tools -> Photoshop -> menu.

3. Rich, you might find you have better control over your images if you first open up a document in Photoshop in the size you want your page to be. Then use the place command to add the images you want. Each image will load in a separate layer. This will enable you to move the images around, resize, title and manipulate them as needed. No cutting and pasting needed, just a little mouse work and perhaps a transformation or two. :smile: :smile: :smile: It's fun!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Try QImage. The interface seems a little odd at first, but it is the best printing program bar none.

5. You might give a try to Nikon PictureProject in its Design mode. Maybe one of the layouts available will suit you.

6. Hi Rich,

If your purpose is to place the images for printing, then I absolutely second John's recommendation of Qimage. I've relied on Qimage for years, and use it for all my printing.

Best wishes,

David

7. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Rich,

In PS you can open a blank image of page size and simply drag other images to it. To do so, you need to open the images you want to place, go to layer palette, click and drag background layer to the destiantion page.

For serious layout work it is better to use Illustrator, PageMaker, InDesign, or Quark.

8. I guess it all depends how good a printing results you want but if you have Office with Word on your PC then it is really easy to place pictures on it.

Just paste the picture into the document after you have set up the size you want for your page (File menu, page setup) and right click on it, go to format picture, click on layout tab and the option to the very right called "In front of picture", then click OK. This way you can move the pictures around and also make text boxes of your chosen size and placement if you want to write comments to the pictures, And by the way if you choose the crop tool from Words picture toolbar you can crop directly in the document....

9. Dave and John, thanks; I have used Qimage for many years. I didn't do a good job with my request. I wanted to create one image with a number of crops on it for electronic use. I wasn't aware that Qimage could do that. I"ll try "print to file" and see if that works.

For others. Thanks, but I think you over-estimate my skills. I'm afraid that out of my area of habitual Photoshop use I'm a real dummy. A couple of the suggestions are beyond my abilities. All I use PS CS2 for is editing photos. I wouldn't know a layer if I tripped over it. It's the same as if I told someone to "just edit the image using Photoshop." They'd give me a blank stare and say......."and then?"

Thanks, I'm going to re-read all the suggestions. It's time, I think to stretch my knowledge again.

Rich

10. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Rich,

Press Ctrl-N, set the dimensions of the page (less margins of your printer 7mm/0.3" should be safe, if the printer can't print borderless); set the page resolution matching the images you want to place (if images are 240 dpi, set the page resolution to 240 dpi, too).

Open an image you want to place.

Press "F7" key to bring the layers palette.

Press letter "v" to get Move Tool.

[​IMG]

Move your mouse to the "Background", and press "Shift" key and the left button.

Without releasing "Shift" and the button, drag the mouse to the freshly opened page.

[​IMG]

As your current tool is "Move", press the mouse button and drag/reposition the image on the page.

Proceed to the next image.

11. Dear Illiah,

Mille grazie!

By the way, thanks for starting the thread on LAB in Photoshop. The ability to handle haze is almost magic. Here's a shot (note: not my images) with some sky haze. Twenty seconds later here's what LAB did! There may still be a very slight yellow cast in it but the haze is gone. And any color cast, as you know can be eliminated lterally in seconds. Now, however, I need t og back and "correct" several hundred shots! :mad:

Before
    original.
    After
    original.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2005
  12. Wow, Rich, nice job. I want to thank Iliah for starting the lab thread too. I've started experimenting with Lab, thanks to his encouragement and examples. It's pretty amazing what one can do. Love your example here!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

13. Thank you Virginia. I owe the work to the photographer, whose name I've lost and Illiah for getting us on the track. I bought Margulis' book, but sadly it was missing 20 pages in the meatiest section, so now I'm waiting for a replacement.

Once I began moving the angles of the a and b regions I began to wonder "Hmm what would happen if you lock a point on the line and shift the curve around that point?" Lo and behold when the book came, that's just what Dan did later on in the book. He has a shot in N.Y. City with a policeman on a horse. All the colors are great except that the horse came out too red. With LAB he selectively changed the shade to a more natural chestnut.....all without destroying the information in the pixels of the horse!

I can't wait for the replacement book so I can try other stuff!

Rich

14. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Here is a simple'n'dirty setup to colour-correct in Lab for that image: I pressed letter "i" and shift-clicked with a mouse on two points - cock and sky. See my info palette shows Lab and CMYK readings. We will need CMYK to correct the sky, as the sky should be more or less free from yellow.
    [​IMG]