Help with my next lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Huff09, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    My question is, Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24? I would love the Nikon 12-24 but just can't justify the price difference (little one on the way so gotta watch the pennies where I can).

My main use for the lens is probably going to be the urban thing (i.e, buildings, occasional people, anything architectually interesting).

The wider end of the Sigma might be nice, but I'm more interested in making sure I get a quality piece of glass.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has used one or both and know what your thoughts are.

Thanks.

2. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
  3. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I don't regret my 10-20 at all granted I haven't used neither 12-24 , but still it's a nice piece of glass.

4. From a practical stand, the Sigma, with its 2mm wider end would provide that much less overlap to what you already have, plus I've heard that that 2mm really makes a noticable difference at those wide ends. I love my Sigma 150 macro, very well built, so I would guess the 10-20 is on the same level...

5. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Thanks Michael,

Have you found any issues with sharpness when shooting wide open? The picture you posted looks good stopped down to f/8 but the article Ray posted from Nikonians was mentioning softness at the wide end when shooting at max aperture.

Most of the time I would probably be stopped down to at least f/8, however, the constant f/4 is one of the pluses in my opinion so I would want it as an option.

Thanks for your input and the pic, I really appreciate the help.

6. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Thanks Ray!

Great information from Nikonians and wonderful pics from Mert. Any issues with the light fall off that the article talks about? Usually, it can probably be easily cropped out but I'm wondering if it hinders the ability to have good images from edge to edge.

Thanks again for the info.

7. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Thanks Julien,

I'm hearing that from most people who own the Sigma. Seems like it is a very nice lens indeed. I'm seeing more and more very impressive photos from it.

8. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Shaun,

Yeah, with my 18-55 kit in the mix you make a good point about overlap. I was going to get rid of it, but I really like the images I get from it and it will help in covering the 20-28 gap if I go with the Sigma.

I was wondering about that extra 2mm on the wide end and how much difference it would make. If nothing else, it might be nice to have the option of going wider.

Thanks again.

9. Brent M

Brent M

Aug 13, 2006
    I'm an owner of a Sigma 10-20 and am very happy with it. It seems that there aren't many complaints from the owners of either lens. I can tell you from experience that 10 is signifigantly wider than 12, and this difference was the primary reason for me choosing the Sigma over the Tokina.

When using this lens I find myself either between 16 and 20mm or at 10mm.

You do give up the constant aperture. That wasn't an issue for me at these focal lengths, as I very rarely shoot this lens wide open.

10. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Since you were asking, here's an example of the Tokina 12-24 at f/4, 12mm, ISO 100 for 6 seconds. You can decide if the softness is within your acceptable range or not.

450187851_fe7862f954_b.

11. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Thanks Brent,

That's what I'm hearing. There would definitely be a benefit to being a little wider on some shots.

Great photos by the way. I really like your shots of what I assume is your State Capital. Were those taken with the Sigma?

12. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Looks plenty sharp to me. Thanks Bill, I appreciate you posting the photo. It's good to see what the lens can do at those settings.

Very nice shot BTW.

13. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Thanks. I recently bought this lens, so I've been testing it out at different settings to see what it can do. Although I've never tried the Sigma or the more expensive Nikon, I'm pleased with the results of this Tokina.

14. Brent M

Brent M

Aug 13, 2006
    Thanks for taking the time to look at my photos. Yes, those are form the Texas State Capital, but most of those were taken with the 18-70, with a 67mm Hoya IR filter.

Most of the Christmas light photos in that gallery were taken with the Sigma (although it looks like a few of those have recently gotten corrupted somehow:mad: I'll have to fix that). There are some shots taken with the Sigma in the Kansas City, K-State and the backyard galleries.

This thread is about one of my images I made with the 10-20 at 10mm. Not having used the Tokina I can't give a fair comparison. All I can say is that this is one lens purchase that I have no regrets about.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017