Help with new printer

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Backdoctor, May 15, 2005.

1. looking to get a new printer and checking out the Epson 1800 vs the HP 8750.

Can anyone let me know the plus and minuses. I would like good archival printing, something resistant to smear, can print on 12x12.

2. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Do you prefer matte or glossy?

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

4. I can't help you with the HP specific model, but as far as I'm concerned Epson has forgotten more about color printing than HP ever learned (ok, so I'm exagerating). I like HP for B/W laser printing only. The HP color printers we have at Customs are expensive, costly to maintain, costly for consumables and break down often.

I have the 1280 and 2200, and an HP 1100 (which, by the way had a major design defect and required a free part upgrade to make it work properly.) I'd say my experience is anecdotal, but I've used HP printers in government since 1984 and for color, they just don't make the grade and stay reliable.

Rich

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. I have been trying different papers. The hard thing is, I like them all. Some things on glossy, some matte, some lustre.

Why? Does one do better on one type of paper.

7. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    The Epson does especially well with glossy and luster paper. I have both R800 and R1800. 1800 is much better with the canned profiles.

8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    The R1800 is a phenomenal printer. I haven't done much matte yet, but the glossy output will blow you away :shock: