1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Help with night games

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by nalby, Jul 6, 2008.

1. nalby

nalby Guest

I was at yankee stadium last Mon. I had my D300 70-200vr and 1.7 tc. I was sitting under the loge section about 3/4 way up and about halfway between 1st and the wall.
    Here are some pics. Any input would be great as I think they are grainy.
    326782697_jtCwA-O.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

326782554_4LksT-O.jpg

326782457_HzHQu-O.jpg

I took this one from out by the RF Bleachers

326782314_LP9aM-O.jpg

Fun with CS3

Here's a link to somemorehttp://nalby.smugmug.com/gallery/5304499_YRu7L#323707466_j54Yy

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  2. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I don't see any images, just place holders with red "x's".

3. nalby

nalby Guest

Can you see them now?I think I fixed it

4. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Jim - the shots are not that bad for the conditions and gear you were shooting with. Honestly you really arent going to get great quality images with the lighting you had with that combo. The aperture just won't let you. More light is needed.

But it's always nice to be at a MLB game.:biggrin:

5. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    They are grainy, but I dont know what is causing it maybe the TC?

6. nalby

nalby Guest

I think niknd501 is right but I was hoping that someone would have some settings I could try. I'm going to another game at the end of the month and will be sitting in the left Field bleachers.

7. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    As a sample. This image was taken last week. Taken with my D50 --- ISO 800 -- f3.2 --- SS 1/500...And about a 60% crop.

Lens used - Sigma 70-200 2.8

324862228_zPs2Y-L.jpg

8. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    the one of Arod is at ISO 220, 1/160 and 2.8. With the D300 I would push that ISO to at least 800 and the shutter to 1/640 minimum. They also look like significant crops, which will show the camera shake more as well as more grain...

9. nalby

nalby Guest

The one problem I had was sitting under the mid-deck section, I was basically shooting from a pretty dark place. here's the Arod pic uncropped

323737062_Mda7e-L.jpg

10. That's a problem I have with my Sigma 70-200. I have to do some considerable cropping to fill a frame with a player or players. The more the crop, the more the noise.

11. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'm into that whole thing about giving you fish so you can eat, but rather teach you to fish so you do not go hungry so...

Go to at least ISO800 or the highest ISO you are comfortable in going with your camera, then meter off the grass. If you can walk down to the first row to get a meter reading that would be even better as you can fill the viewfinder with grass or use the dirt on the field. Remember those settings and use them in your camera in MANUAL mode. If you have ISO-Auto on then turn that off also. Go completely manual. Now go back to your seat and try the setting out. Check your histogram and make adjustments if necessary.

That's how you get the correct settings, which will work for action on the field. If the ambient light was still fading at the time you took your first reading then I would take a new reading as often as practical. Maybe in between innings. If it is just the stadium lights with ambient not a factor, you should be good to go until the end of the game. Give it a shot and pretty soon you'll get real good at getting the settings just the way you like it.

When you ask for the correct settings, people will tell you what their settings were at the venue they shot. WHat works in one stadium is unlikely to work at another because the artificial lights are different and the ambient will be different as well. Not to mention different camera set ups. What one person told you works with a 70-200/2.8 is not going to work with a 70-200/2.8 + 1.7 tele.

12. Alex gives great advice, on thing that is making these noisy is the large crop that you are doign which will bring out the noise, to me that is the biggest factor with the noise, Alexs tips will get you dead on exposure whcih will help keep noise down. Good luck with your next game

13. nalby

nalby Guest

Thanks I really appreciate the advice, I will try the metering when I go to the next game. I to am about the learning thing i've only had a dslr since dec. and have learned alot by trial and error, but by asking for some settings I would be trying and expanding or negating them but learning non the less. Thanks

14. Very nice explanation alex/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.