1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Help With Photo Edit

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Zeeman, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Zeeman

Zeeman Guest

I am brand new to this with a D40. I also purchased Corel Paint Shop Pro. Where do you start on a picture? Color,Sharpness just where do you start..

This is a great site

2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Well the first thing I look at is Sharpness. I always sharpen more than I should.

Secondly I see if certain areas should be burned...so I do that next.

Third, I use the sponge tool a lot...don't know what your software would have that would mimic the sponge tool.

Those are probably the only things I do.

3. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    If you post a picture I'll show you what I do step by step.

4. Since I shoot primarily in RAW, my first step is to check my exposure and white balance and correct if necessary. Then I adjust components such as: curves, levels, contrast, saturation, etc. My last step before resizing or cropping is sharpening the shot. THEre are many sites on the net with tutorials on various imaging software.

You can also try and post a picture here, unprocessed, and I am sure someone will give it a go and give you a breif description of what was done.

5. 1. White Balance*****
    2. Exposure
    3. Brightness
    4. Contrast
    5. Saturation

Then on to the more advanced stuff you can worry about further on down the road.

6. The first thing??? Should be the last thing, surely?

7. Cliffords

Cliffords Guest

If your shooting Nikon raw (NEF) files, how about a free but excellent program from Nikon. I wrote an article for www.photos4clix.com called "Easing into raw files with your Nikon digital camera" the direct link for this article is http://photos4clix.com/?p=17
    CliffordS

8. Zeeman

Zeeman Guest

Paint Shop Prox2

Does anyone use Pait Shop Pro X2 if so I am looking for any hints I can get to make my photos look better. I like to do sports and portraits.

9. Zeeman

Zeeman Guest

Help

Here is a pic
    DSC_0014.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 227056

10. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    As requested...here is your before and after...

What did I do...

1. Sharpen
    2. Use Burn tool
    3. Use Sponge Tool
    4. Use curves.

That's it.

DSC_0139-2.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 227058

11. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Nice images. In CS3 my typical sequence consists of :

White balance >>> Exposure levels >>> Color correction >>> Saturation >>> Resize >>> Sharpness.

YMMV

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Baseball.....

The baseball edit....

Higher contrast version...
    [​IMG]

Light Cartoon (I like this one for web and the other for print)....
    [​IMG]

13. Beach

The beach photo... (updated 8/5)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2008
  14. He is my attempt using NX2 followed by Portraiture in CS3 and the touchup in NX2. I thought the woman's skin needed to hide the sun damage a bit so I invoked Portraiture.

[​IMG]

Regards,

15. While the first thing you look at is sharpness, actually sharpening the image should be the very last step you do prior to saving for output.

My processing workflow generally consists of cropping if needed, exposure adjustments if needed, white balance adjustments if needed, boosting contrast somewhat, boosting saturation or vividness as needed. The first actual pixel level changes involve cloning or healing brush fixes of blemishes or to reduce wrinkles. I then make 2 separate levels adjustment layers to act as dodge and burn tools. If skin needs smoothing, I do that. If teeth need whitening, I do that. That's about it usually. I'll sharpen the image if printing. If just posting to the web, I'll resize it down to about 800 pixels on the long end and then sharpen it.

Now, if you're new to retouching (which your posts indicate you are), the above probably sounds like a bunch of Greek. Your best bet is to join a retouching forum and look for tutorials. Unfortunately, Corel doesn't have nearly the amount of tutorials or videos available as photoshop does. That's the reason I switched. Still, you can watch photoshop tutorials to get a general idea of what you should be doing to your images.

16. Barry, don't take this the wrong way, but the portraiture plugin did not help her skin IMHO. Looks grainy. Personally, I think the original file looks much better as far as the skin is concerned.

17. I think it did help the skin, but that's why we have a variety of results in this thread. I only spent a few minutes playing with this image and, upon reflection, should have applied Noiseware. Here is what I got then.

[​IMG]

Thanks,

18. I wasn't knocking your editing skills, just pointing out that I didn't think portraiture did anything positive to her skin. Even with Noiseware, there is still a dark, grainy patch of skin around her upper chest/neck area that looks like a dark mottled bruise. Same with her right knee. In the original shot, these areas looked normally shaded, with even texture that matched the rest of the photo. Also, her hair now lacks any detail at all, and is basically just a solid black patch on her head, unlike the original. Again, I'm not knocking your processing or editing skill. Just pointing out why I feel the portraiture plugin actually hurt the skin instead of help it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.